Just discovered dent in new water heater &^%$#

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Wow, I guess I am extremely lucky and in the minority opinion here. I have yet to receive a tank that is dented in like that from my supplier.

Well, I don't see them dented in the box most of the time.

Normally they are good out of the box, and I use two people to install with.

If you slow down a bit, and use two guys you should be fine.

It's just that the dent in the picture above, doesn't really matter.
I'm not going tell someone that the crease is going to matter when it doesn't.

That's one reason why I won't go down on my price either.
I charge what I do, knowing it's a two man job.

Ron6519

Reaction score
If this happened to me, I'd kill myself. Really, I'm not kidding.
Oh my God, the humanity!!!
Ron

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote from Ian: As an electrician, perhaps, or an employee for the Federal Government. You know, real work.

Electircians only know how to run small pipes through big spaces. As I often say, they must take special classes in how to run a 1/2" conduit through Chase Field, and take up every bit of usable space. Is there any way to use the words "government employee" and "real work" in the same sentence.

SebastianCanada

Reaction score
When should one worry about a dent, then?

So, when should you be concerned about a dent?

I just got a new water heater installed. The plumbing contractor who did it was very conscientious, but also a bit rough when removing the old tank, but very careful when installing the new one. My one concern RE the new tank is that the contractor was a little evasive about the supplier. However, I did check with the manufacturing company, and there is nothing sketchy about the water heater -- it has a valid, recognized serial number.

The dent is at the top, near the hookup the release of hot water. The dent is very very shallow, but kind of broad, though not near the hook up. It looks more like a pressure dent than a trauma dent -- as if something heavy were resting on the tank for too long. This is why I am pretty sure it happened in storage or transportation.

The dent is so shallow that you only see it if light is directed a certain way, which is why it took me about a week to notice.

Considering that the tank works perfectly after a week, and the dent is so shallow, should I worry??? Oh, also, I am getting a slight weird task from my water, something a little like castor oil. Could this be a sign, or am I imagining things?

Sorry, do not mean to hijack the thread. This is related to the original question, but don't want to steer the thread too far off the original topic.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A water heater consists of a pressure vessel wrapped in foam or fiberglass insulation, and then finally a metal wrapper to prevent damage to the insulation.

Your metal wrapper has a dent and may have slightly compressed the insulation there.
It's nothing I would worry about. A few years back I bought one that had been dented pretty badly just to save a buck since I was giving the water heater to a friend. It wasn't an operational thing.
But it's pretty easy to give a heater a slight bump while installing. They do weigh a bit.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The flux from soldering can linger in the water for a few days, depending on the volume of water you run through them...normally, it's more of an annoyance than any health issue.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks