(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Insulating plumbing

Question Insulating plumbing

My kitchen sink wall and the vanity wall for one bath are exterior walls. I'm remodeling both and have them stripped down to the studs.

What is the best and correct way to insulate these walls and protect the plumbing? Is it OK to just put the insulation in the wall cavity as you normally would (which leaves the plumbing outside of the insulation, but somewhat surrounded by it) or should I put the insulation between the plumbing and the outside wall? Or is there some other solution?

I do plan to put foam insulation around all the supply lines (hot and cold) throughout the house to cut down noise and condensation.

Also, a bit off topic, but does "kraft facing" on insulation count as a vapor barrier?

Thanks,

Joel

1. Kraft facing is a legal vapor barrier.. you're good....

2. Stuff your insulation behind the pipes........ and leave between the pipes and the new drywall clear..... allowing heat from the room to warm them...

Wasn't that easy?

Then again... I'm just an avid DIYer.... If a pro on the site overrides me... take his advice.....
    It's 9a.m. Let's have a beer!

The thing about insulation to remember is that insulation does not warm or cool anything. It slows the loss of heat. If you put the insulation between the pipes and the inside wall, you will prevent the heat from the inside from reaching the pipes. Put the insulation between the pipes and the outside wall. However, you still must have some heat from the inside getting into the wall cavity. I belive Kraft paper is a vapor barrier, but better check further on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Swart
    The thing about insulation to remember is that insulation does not warm or cool anything. It slows the loss of heat. If you put the insulation between the pipes and the inside wall, you will prevent the heat from the inside from reaching the pipes. Put the insulation between the pipes and the outside wall. However, you still must have some heat from the inside getting into the wall cavity. I belive Kraft paper is a vapor barrier, but better check further on that.
    Just finished my insulation inspection.......... the Kraft paper was adaquate!
    It's 9a.m. Let's have a beer!