New Vanity: Distance from drain to wall and does drain need to line up?

Users who are viewing this thread

sanrico

Reaction score
We are installing a new bathroom vanity and sink. Right now, we are ready to cut the hole in the plywood top for the sink.

My questions:

1. Is there a standard or ideal distance from the sink drain hole to the wall?

2. How much leeway do I have left or right to line up the sink drain hole to the wall pipe?

thank you very much!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The drain is quite adjustable with the P trap joints, so as long as you don't go to extremes, you'll be OK. As far as the sink is concerned, I'd center it front to back. Make it look right. If you are unsure about how the P trap is adjustable, look at one that is already installed, like under your kitchen sink.

sanrico

Reaction score
Thank you for this helpful information. I need to add to my question:

A plumber we talked to SWORE that if we install our P-trap at a 45 degree angle to the wall, we would regret it. He said that is a sure fire way to insure major drainage problems. Is this true? It seems very strange to me that the sink drain would have to line up perfectly with the wall drain.

Thanks!

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Define 45 degree angle to the wall.

You are allowed 135 degrees of change in direction between your trap and the vent.As long as the piping inside the wall does not exceed 90 degrees to the vent , then you are allowed to add another 45 degrees change in direction.

To answer your question: No it is not true if the above conditions i made exist

sanrico

Reaction score
Define 45 degree angle to the wall.

You are allowed 135 degrees of change in direction between your trap and the vent.As long as the piping inside the wall does not exceed 90 degrees to the vent , then you are allowed to add another 45 degrees change in direction.

To answer your question: No it is not true if the above conditions i made exist

I see. I have no idea what it looks like inside the wall. All I see is the pipe coming out of the wall. This used to be a double sink vanity. When we had the new vanity made, we went for a single sink, since there is so little room in there. We capped off the left sink. We wanted to install the new sink right in the middle of the vanity, but the plumber said we would have drainage problems.

So we're installing the sink on the right side of the vanity and the left side will be counter space for makeup and God knows what else women use bathrooms for.

The sink lines up over the plumbing where the right sink was. The new sink drain is about 2 inches to the right of where the pipe is in the wall. My wife was swearing the plumber said the world would end if they didn't line up, but I think I have the lateral movement to install the p-trap right where this drain is.

If the world ends tomorrow, you'll all know to blame me.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
If the world ends tomorrow, you'll all know to blame me.
Lmao

I doubt very much that you have anything more than 90degrees in the wall to the vent. I would say that you will be 98% safe if you put another 45degree angle on that configuration . Do yourself one better and see if a 22 1/2 degree angle will fit your needs

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sink

You put the sink WHERE you want it, and then the drain is adjusted or piped to that location. There is little difference between a drain that goes directly back to the wall, or one that offsets sideways. IN my 60 years of plumbing, I have NEVER had a cabinet installer worry about where my pipe was when he cut the sink opening. They always assumed I would not have any problem making the connection, and they were always correct.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks