Vacuum Breaker Issue

Users who are viewing this thread

jlsddmar

Reaction score
Hi Guys -

I just finished installing a hand shower and had had some issues with the vacuum breaker. Every time I tightened the breaker to the supply elbow with the washer included, the washer would compress down against the slits, and would prevent the water from coming through the breaker.

I have everything working now without the washer. All of the connections were Teflon taped. Is the washer necessary? If so, do you know why it keeps getting forced against the openings?

Thanks,
Derek

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Shower Washer Prob.

Without knowing what type and brand of hand shower you have I can't answer, sorry. :(

jlsddmar

Reaction score
Vacuum Breaker

Hi -

The vacuum breaker is an Alson's 4900. (http://www.alsons.com/accessories/hoses/products/docs/ACC_VB_4900_instr.pdf)

The only thing I'm not sure of is whether the washer is only for sealing purposes, or if it functions as part of the breaker (and therefore isn't working correctly without it). Either way, I still don't see how the breaker could be fully tightened without having the washer completely block the slits.

-Derek

jlsddmar

Reaction score
I'll just go without it then. Even hand tight is enough to block the flow when the washer is in there. Looking at it, I don't see how it could possibly work with the washer in...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks