Having plumber coming tomorrow to replace 3" flue with 4"

Users who are viewing this thread

VTXdude

Reaction score
It says 3 or 4...4 is code now I guess...maybe if he goes a bit more vertical it will draft better? I don't know I'm all new to this

Reaction score
It says 3 or 4...4 is code now I guess...maybe if he goes a bit more vertical it will draft better? I don't know I'm all new to this

I wouldn't want it running flat horizontal as far as it does in your pics. It looks like it would be easy to give that horizontal run a substantial vertical component instead of the 90's.

When a natural draft burner fires it has to displace the cold air in the flue. Once enough hot air is in a vertical rise the less dense hot air will accelerate the draft. The problem with your horizontal run is that it will take considerably longer before the hot air can begin moving vertically in the stack. (It's not too far from making a seal leg.)

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I don't like the way your vent appears to snug up to the paper facing on that insulation in the last pic.

That facing is flammable you know.

VTXdude

Reaction score
ok guys plumber came and installed the 4" flue pipe....

The exhaust smell is gone but it has been replaced with a new smell..... it smells like metal smell....the plumber wrapped all the connections with foil tape where he put the 3 screws in each connection.

Could this be the adhesive glue cooking off and causing this odor? the piping is 4" 26 gauge if that matters....

I don't know if new pipes should be giving off any odors

Thats why I ask the experts here. If it is the adhesive on the tape cooking up does it only last for a few cycles?

Thank you so much, everyone here has been great

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
It's probably the stale air left by the plumber's odor.

Plumbers don't smell very nice.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks