(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: basement bathroom

What do you guys think ?

Quote Originally Posted by darrski View Post
    Hey

Don't really want to damage any more ceiling in the next room lol
    Can I get away with drilling the next hole for the basement stack 6" away from the main stack - and then tapping to it in the attic ? This way I can stay within the same stud bay ...and less patch work for ceiling repairs in laundry room lol..and there is good chance that there won't be anything in the way if I stay close to the main stack .
    I can run the new stack along the floor joist to the new bathroom from the laundry room.
    Do you think that might work ?
    What I suggest is you go up inside the attic and inspect through the top plate rather than risking cutting anything by inspecting the inside of the stud cavity from below. 6" over from the stack isn't much seeing how you'll have to tie into the vent stack in the attic you need to give yourself enough room to install fittings to do so. I wouldn't tear out anymore ceiling, just get in the attic with a flashlight and a drill, even a small diameter hole and a decent light will allow you to figure out which stud bay you can come up inside, if you do see some electrical or other plumbing in the way it's a lot easier to nail a 2x4 to the top of the plate you drilled through, than it is to repair a bunch of drywall ceilings down in the basement.

That's not the best image, but if you look, in that situation the stud bay to he right of the 3" stack is clear and you could easily pipe inside it. I'm not sure on the specifics of your house though.

Default vent

That pipe is NOT the main vent stack until it is above the highest fiture connected to it, and then you have to be 6" ABOVE that fixture's overflow level OR 42" above the floor on that level, whichever is higher. Therefore you cannot connect back to that pipe, unless you have a different system than most house's would. $1.000.00 is cheap for what I see has to be done.

Hey
    Thanks for all the advice guys ....

HJ....but if I manage to run the new 3" pipe to the attic and connect to existing stack...that should work ...right ?

Quote Originally Posted by darrski View Post
    Hey
    Thanks for all the advice guys ....

HJ....but if I manage to run the new 3" pipe to the attic and connect to existing stack...that should work ...right ?
    It probably doesn't need to be 3".

3" just to be on the safe side lol...

I got the toilet and sink figured out - the venting part.....I'm stuck on the tub part....
    Problem is...everything sits on concrete floor and drains to main 1/2 floor below it...
    Any ideas ?? Sorry ...my drafting skills are not the greatest

Again ...thanks for all the advice guys

Shouldn't the laundry room have a vent in there? I'm not certain, and it's early here so I might have skimmed over some details. Couldn't the vent, which only has to be 1 1/2" tied into the laundry room vent somewhere.
    At first I was thinking what others were too - drill the 2+" hole in attic and ceiling in basement and run the length of 1 1/2 up the wall and tie in up in the attic.
    It's would require some precise drilling (multi measurements to be certain the holes line up. But that would be my route. With the AAV's they are permitted in Canada only if it's the only solution available... but with that said I've never put them on a setup with a tiolet. I usually keep them to island sinks (only when the other options are impossible) and bar sinks that people always add in finished areas)

I would run the 3X2 wye
    3" run goes to the tiolet.
    2"come off the branch of the wye
    the 2" the has a 2X11/2 wye
    1 1/2 goes to the bathtub.
    2 goes the basin, goes vertical up the wall.
    at your rough-in height for your sink drain I would put a 2X1 1/2X1 1/2 T

The 2" line wet vents the tub and tiolet, the 1 1/2 above the basin drain becomes the dry continuous vent which you have to connect to the main vent somewhere.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default vent

In most, if not all cases, it would only have to be 2".