Ells

Users who are viewing this thread

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Are there any places where you would prefer not to use a short radius 90?

I guess you generally only use them where they're required by the limitations of the install, and there's a lot of places where using 2 45s and a few inches of pipe between would be a better solution.

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Are there any places where you would prefer not to use a short radius 90?

I guess you generally only use them where they're required by the limitations of the install, and there's a lot of places where using 2 45s and a few inches of pipe between would be a better solution.

If the 90 degree centerline radius is less than the size of pipe you can't use em.

I try not to use short radius 90's ever... try getting a snake around one.

2 45's with pipe in between is always a better option.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
vertical to horizontal

horizontal to horizontal

Where can you even buy short pattern ells?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
ell

That is like trying to "prove a negative". IF we would prefer NOT to use a short turn ell, we would simply not even consider it in the first place. There are also situations where a short turn might be "handy" but the code precludes it, which also means it would not be a temptation. Then again, what is your definition of "short radius" because a "vent ell" is a pure 90 degree square corner with a radius equal the that of the pipe itself.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
I had never even seen a short bend DWV fitting before a few weeks ago...until I looked closer at the plumbing section in Home Depot...that should say it all!

Unfortunately at the other end of the spectrum, whenever I ask for long bend DWV sanitary fittings at the supplier, most guys are mystified and it becomes a big episode to get the fitting....like a double fixture fittings...have to be special ordered from the factory!

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
I worded that sort of funny, I just read it over again.

I was just trying to figure out why you would ever really need a "short radius" 90 anyways...

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I worded that sort of funny, I just read it over again.

I was just trying to figure out why you would ever really need a "short radius" 90 anyways...

Sometimes you do *shrugs* But not very often.

The most "common" place you'll find a short radius 90 is on the trap arm/fixture drain of a toilet when there isn't enough room underneath to use a long sweep 90.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
short ell

Again, the question is what is your definition of a "short ell"? "Square turn" vent ells have applications in venting, although their price is about twice that of a regular short turn 90 because of their limited production and demand.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks