Using Pex on radiators for steam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Clevdale

Reaction score
Is there a type of pex that can be used on radiators for a two pipe steam system? I am going to put back several radiators that had been removed from a house I recently bought and I wanted to use pex to pipe them in if possible. I have a brand new steam boiler and need to heat the whole house not parts of it as the previous owners tired to do. Any help would be gratefully appreciated even if it is a no you can not use pex.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Pex cannot be used for steam...the max temp liquid is usually around 180-degrees, and steam would be much hotter than that. Plus, you normally have a larger pipe than generally available with pex.

Clevdale

Reaction score
Sorry to hear but needed to know

Thanks for the info about the pex. I am going to be placing them back in a hall and upstairs bedroom and possible the living room the feeds are all still there but they have been capped and the risers are gone. What do you all think would I be better of sticking with the old used radiators or get the new style ones? I have seen several new very thin and set close to the wall with several colors choices, but will they radiate the heat as well as the old ones do?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
radiators

If the "square footage" is the same they will heat the same, but even if they are thinner the pipes will still have to stay where they are so the radiators would probably be further away from the wall than the old ones were.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks