How to fix a dripping Moen shower faucet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Walds11

Reaction score
How do I go about fixing this? Very light dripping, but annoying. Attached is a pic of my shower set-up. Thanks in advance.

drippingshowerfaucet.jpg

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The moen plastic pull out cartridge is widely available, certainly at Ace or blue or orange, and probably also at a sears outlet. There is a removal tool which is usually necessary, and you can buy that at any place that sells the cartridge.

moen-cartridge-puller-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Walds11

Reaction score
Plastic pull out cartridge? It looks metal to me. I was able to take the handle off. That is the easy part :) Do I need to turn the water off to get the cartridge out? I need more help. Thanks!

drippingshowerfaucet1.jpg

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
-Pull off the face plate
-pull off the sleeve
-Shut off your water and drain the system
-pull up the retainer clip and remove it (do not lose it or break it)
- Use your puller or the plastic cap that comes with the new 1225B catridge to move/dislodge the entire cartridge then pull entire catridge with a sturdy yank.
-Replace/reinstall new 1225B cartridge and retainer clip

The rest is easy.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
moen

quote; - Use your puller or the plastic cap that comes with the new 1225B catridge to move/dislodge the entire cartridge then pull entire catridge with a sturdy yank.

Spoken like someone who has NEVER had to remove a stuck brass stem from one. The "plastic removal cap" is a joke for anything other than a plastic stem which is loose enough that it does not need it.

Walds11

Reaction score
I am at Lowes right now. Lowes has replacement cartridge part 1225, not 1225B. The part is $19.97. Will this part work?They have the cartridge puller tool, $14.97. Wow, the job will cost me about $35, unless I can find the parts somewhere cheaper.

moen1225.gif

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Don't fret about the "B". There are ONLY TWO Moen cartridges, the brass one and the plastic one. We recommend the plastic.

If they are selling a cartridge for 12 bucks or so, it may be a generic. We recommend the genuine Moen piece, which is usually $15+. If you think that spending $35 to repair a faucet is anything other than an incredible bargain, wait 'til you get the bill from the plumber you have to call because you tried to get it out without the $15 tool, and screwed up the body. Add a couple of zeros!!

moen-1200-1225.jpg

Walds11

Reaction score
So, as long as I have the puller and the correct part, I good to go? I am fairly handy, but generally don't like to mess with plumbing and electricity.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Spoken like someone who has NEVER had to remove a stuck brass stem from one. The "plastic removal cap" is a joke for anything other than a plastic stem which is loose enough that it does not need it.
Are you kidding me!?!?

You, my freind , haven't got the slightest clue of my abilities and what I am capable and licenced to do! You don't know me! So you can't sit there on your high chair judging me!!

I'm finding alot of the veterens of this site very insulting and making judgments about anybody else , especially the noobs that just want a quick answer to their problem.

Instead of critizing my credentials, why not actually try to help and give YOUR opinion on how to fix his dilema!

For your information, In 30 years that I have been plumbing , I only came across 1......... count them..........1 moen cartridge that I was not able to pull out........... and I ended up drilling that one out with no problems.

you really need to get more hands on experience in plumbing repairs

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
hj plumbs in Arizona.

The water there must be very bad.
There are several plumbers that report that Moen gives them issues.

That is not the case with normal water, like the stuff we have in Seattle.
Moen is a breeze to repair here.
We pull the clip, pull the cartridge, and it's all downhill from there.

But then, we have good water here.

And get the genuine Moen, don't waste money on generic parts for these.
I have never needed a "removal tool" on Moen.

If you live in an area with hard water, you may need one.

moen-cartridge-puller-2.jpg

Last edited:

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
That is not the case with normal water, like the stuff we have in Seattle.
Moen is a breeze to repair here.
We pull the clip, pull the cartridge, and it's all downhill from there.

Terry, you just proved my point. Conditions are not the same throughout North America. And for someone to sit there and judge other peoples experiences for their areas is not a way to conduct themselves with the "know it all " attitude

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Moen

Since I have worked on Moen "Dialcet" faucets since they were created, (I installed the first one in the Chicago area in my own bathroom), and have had innumerable ones that resisted extraction, to the point where I have four different pullers in my truck, and some extractions require more than one, I guess my 60 years of experience, (in Chicago, Michigan, and Arizona), tops your 30. Your area may be such that EVERY brass Moen stem comes out with the plastic device, but in that case I think it may be the exception. As I have stated, that "last resort" puller, if it does not work, means you replace the valve. And if that puller does not work, the plastic DooDad would be completely worthless. But if you noticed I said your comment was from someone who "never had a stuck cartridge", which could be true in your case.

Last edited:

Walds11

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everyone. I emailed my son's soccer coach who is actually master plumber. He claimed that 90% of the Meon catridges that he has worked with come out without the puller tool. We shall see.

I took the handle and the sleeve off to check things out. I can see the retainer clip. Now I have a good feel for what I need to do.

drippingshowerfaucet2.jpg

Anyway, I plan on doing the job this weekend. I will buy the puller tool as well. If I don't need it, then I will return it. Stay tuned...

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I'm with hj. Can't top the 60 years!! But in my much more modest experience, I never had a brass moen come out easily. Part of the problem is that it is such a good design! It works and is left alone far past the point where some "preventive maintenenance" would have helped, hence by the time you take it out, it is stuck in there good! The hard water in San Diego doesn't help.

Walds11

Reaction score
I picked up the parts today at Home Depot today. I bought the puller and some silicon grease as well which the guy at the store recommended. If I don't need the puller, then I will return it. Someone else said that Moen over-greases the cartridges and recommended that I take cartridge apart and wipe off grease. If I do not, the faucet will open by itself due to heavy grease and water pressure. Is this true? Stayed tuned for the results...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks