(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to fix a dripping Moen shower faucet?

I pulled the handle off again. It does not look like the tabs in the handle have broken off. I pulled the handle off the other shower that I replaced the cartidge and compared the tabs. The tabs are definitely different (different shape and positioned differently). I don't even remember if the handle stopped or not before I use the darn shower every day. Anyway, is there any risk as long as I don't go spinning the handle around and around?

Quote Originally Posted by krow View Post
    It could be that the tabs in the handle have broken off or the handle is the wrong one for that particular faucet.
    ie: a lav faucet handle will fit the shower, but it will not sit at the right depth for the tabs to engage the stops
    Last edited by walds11; 12-12-2009 at 04:21 PM.

Absolutley no risk of anything bad happening, whether it spins or not, just an annoyance.

If your Moen still drips, you would have to take it apart again and clean the barrel of the valve and make sure there is no foreign matter anywhere in the new cartridge or barrel. I had to do this twice.

Also mine, which looks just like yours, has two plastic pieces that fit into the stainless sleeve, which limit the turn of the handle. Are you sure these are in right? or not forgotten?

Hope I could help. I am very familiar with these.

It does not drip anymore.

I am working on the shower faucet in my master bathroom now. Attached are two pics. I still can't remember if the handle stopped in either direction before I took it apart yesterday. Maybe I put it back together incorrectly?

And attached is a pic of the handle from my other bathroom shower (the one I replacement the cartridge eariler in the post). This handle works perfectly in my master bathroom shower. You can tell the differences between the handles. The first one has a larger diameter opening, a plastic ring inside and the tabs are in a different position.

part number for first one is 96997 and second one is 14114.

So now what? Buy a new handle?

The 2 plastic pieces that I am referring to are shown in the enclosed picture as "C" and the other is shown installed into the stainless sleeve already.
    These limit the travel of the handle and you can set them to limit the water temperature.

Yours may be different, but there must have been something like this. Maybe the shaft of the replacement cartridge you purchased is a little longer. That could be the problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I have a different set-up. The plastic handle just slides onto the metal collar. There are no other parts involved that I am aware of.

The 2nd handle that you posted looks like a posi-temp handle. It works entirely different than the first handle. The positemp faucet rotates to turn it on.

I suspect that the 2nd handle was replaced at one point with a positemp handle. It may have been replaced by a previous owner who may not have known the difference between the 2 handles. Botoo is showing the basic positemp faucet in his pic

That makes sense. I was at Lowes today and they had the same handle that I posted in post #34. It was labeled posi-temp handle on the box. I have to pull the handle to turn the water on, not rotate it. It's the wrong handle as you suspected. No big deal, just a minor annoyance.

Default I have a Moen problem, too

Hi, I'm new here, and am just a do-it-yourselfer, not a plumber.

Yesterday I replaced a Moen positemp shower catridge that had been dripping for a month or so, then suddenly started leaking in more of a light stream. The old cartridge, by the way, was VERY hard to remove--I had to use a small pry bar and wooden blocks to gradually leverage it out.

I put in the replacement cartridge and the dripping stopped, everything seemed to be working fine. But now today, less than 24 hours later, a slow but steady drip has started again. Any ideas on what the problem could be and how to fix it?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jrob455 View Post
    Hi, I'm new here, and am just a do-it-yourselfer, not a plumber.

Yesterday I replaced a Moen positemp shower catridge that had been dripping for a month or so, then suddenly started leaking in more of a light stream. The old cartridge, by the way, was VERY hard to remove--I had to use a small pry bar and wooden blocks to gradually leverage it out.

I put in the replacement cartridge and the dripping stopped, everything seemed to be working fine. But now today, less than 24 hours later, a slow but steady drip has started again. Any ideas on what the problem could be and how to fix it?

Thanks.
    In the process of removing the old cartridge, a peice of rubber may have broken off inside the brass body or some sediment may have loosened up in the chambers.

You can try pulling the cartridge out and flushing th lines, cleaning the cartridge. These moen cartridges are very sensitive to foreign debris, so its very likely that the new cartridge may have been damaged in the install process. It may warrent a new cartridge again.

Usually you can contact moen on their 1 800 number and they will send you a new cartridge with-in 3 working days free of charge

I bought my first catridge at Home Depot last week. Cost me about $19. I totally forgot that Moen offers a limited lifetime warranty on parts. I just called Moen tonight for a replacement cartridge for my other shower. They asked if I was the original owner and if I had proof of purchase. I do not have the proof of purchase, but they still sent me a replacement cartridge 1225 for free. Yes!!!

Default Head slap

Thanks, Krow. I wasn't previously aware of the warranty by Moen. This morning I called them, and they said they'd send me a new cartridge for free (although they tried to talk me into paying to receive expedited shipping).

I also hadn't previously been aware of the importance of making sure to use a genuine Moen replacement part. The replacement cartridge I installed turns out to be some generic brand--Danco--that's made in China (could be part of the problem with why it still leaks!), and that my local hardware store sold me as a replacement for my Moen cartridge for the "bargain" price of $44. I think I'll pull it out, stick the old Moen cartridge back in--the amount of leaking between it and the new one isn't that great--and see if I can get a refund.

I noticed when I removed the old cartridge that the interior of the bronze fixture has some greenish mineral deposits or corrosion (I guess we have bad water here in Houston), which I wonder, after reading this column, might be causing the drip. I tried to remove them with a small wire brush before putting the replacement cartridge in, but wasn't able to get all traces out. When I open up the valve again, do you suggest that I try polishing the interior of the fixture with fine emery cloth to get it completely smooth?

Thanks again for the advice.

NO EMERY CLOTH.

Just a little bit of white vinegar (red vinegar is for salads) Get as much cleaned as possible, but don't go crazy. It should be fine.

The chinese stuff doesn't handle very good, does it.

You are correct. The incorrect handle was on there. It is for a posi-temp faucet. I called Moen and they sent me the correct handle for free It's amazing what a new cartridge and handle will do. Like good as new.

Quote Originally Posted by krow View Post
    The 2nd handle that you posted looks like a posi-temp handle. It works entirely different than the first handle. The positemp faucet rotates to turn it on.

I suspect that the 2nd handle was replaced at one point with a positemp handle. It may have been replaced by a previous owner who may not have known the difference between the 2 handles. Botoo is showing the basic positemp faucet in his pic