closed loop hot water

Users who are viewing this thread

norm_d

Reaction score
I have a oil fired boiler that I get domestic hot water and a hot water heat closed loop. To work on changing my pressure regulator,(a Watts 12-15 psi with a quick fill lever.) and my circulating pump; can I turn off my supply to pressure regulator and drain the closed loop while still allowing domestic hot water to operate. I do not know what the inside of the boiler is like; can the loop be drained of water, and the boiler be firing, with no damage to loop? Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Probably not. If it is setup with a primary/secondary loop, maybe. The boiler needs to be under pressure and the water lines full when it is firing or you'll get flash steam, and probably break something. If the primary loop can be isolated, then you could work on the secondary loop, but I'm not sure this is often setup to allow this.

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
I would say no but it depends on where your fill valve is piped into your system.

Usually they are near the expansion tank directly into the hydronic loop. I have a weird setup where I have a seperate tapping on my boiler where the auto-feed is plumbed seperate from the supply/return pipes.

In theory if I had a shutoff valve before and after it I would be able to do what you are asking about.

Not sure why your replacing yours but if you have one that is broken I've seen certain models that have union type fittings that allow you to replace the body/mechanism w/o any soldering.

Anytime I work on my boiler I flip the little red switch to cut power. I don't want to risk it firing in a non-normal condition.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks