Tapping into a flexible water line

Users who are viewing this thread

cacherjoe

Reaction score
Folks,

I'm hoping someone can help me. I am about to install an inline humidifier in my furnace. The instructions are all geared to copper water lines, I have flexible water lines. With the kit there is a "saddle" type valve that is used to tap into the waterline. I'm thinking that this won't work well on the flexible waterlines I have in my house.

Can anyone confirm that this will or will not work and if not what should I be looking for when I go back to Home Depot?

Thanks

Joe

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Not only will it not work, saddle valves are not code compliant and have a nasty habit of leaking. You need to find out what kind of "flexible" pipe you have and get fittings for it.

cacherjoe

Reaction score
Thanks Peter,

I'm not very handy and of course the box says, easy installation. All I can say is that the water lines are blue and red plastic covering with what looks to be steel inside. The house is only 2 years old and I'm in Canada if that helps.

davesnothome

DIY Member
Reaction score
Folks,

I'm hoping someone can help me. I am about to install an inline humidifier in my furnace. The instructions are all geared to copper water lines, I have flexible water lines. With the kit there is a "saddle" type valve that is used to tap into the waterline. I'm thinking that this won't work well on the flexible waterlines I have in my house.

Can anyone confirm that this will or will not work and if not what should I be looking for when I go back to Home Depot?

Thanks

Joe

Is it PEX lines you have? If so, about your only option is something like a TEE fitting 1/2 X1/2 x1/4. And unless you have the crimp tool to connect into the plastic line....your only option would be something like a sharkbite fitting that connects simply by pressing the lines into the fitting. You could check the big box stores for selections. Or do an internet search to see them..

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks