duct tape and leaky dishwasher

Users who are viewing this thread

b_eye_g

Reaction score
We just moved into a new house. We noticed some water damage under the sink before we moved in, but had never experienced a leak first hand until tonight. it seems that the dishwasher when draining caused a backup under the cabinet.

upon further review, i noticed that their is a drain cap under the sink. but the cap is on a Y and only 1 of the 2 branches are "capped," the other side was just covered by duct tape. It was wet around this area, and when i peeled the duct tape back, it was filled with a dark sediment.

can i or should i place a pvc cap over this duct taped piece. do i need to open up this cap and clean this area out? would i just snake it?

we are on a well and septic if that makes a difference.

i have attached 2 pictures so i hope that this helps.

IMG00004-20091127-2209.jpg

IMG00003-20091127-2209.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Must not have done a home inspection, or had a plumbing inspection.

The first plumber never finished the job there.

Believe it or not, Duct Tape is not a plumbing product.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

YOu already have a cleanout opening there, so just install a short piece of pipe and a cap into the opening. Regardless of what some say, "The universe runs on duct tape", it will not prevent leaks in plumbing pipes. The drain line may also require cleaning if the leak is caused by a backup.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks