Aquastat/ Contoller

Users who are viewing this thread

historichouseguy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.historichouseguy.com
Hello,
I am looking for some suggestions for modifying my aquastat/ controller setup to better suit my needs. What I have for a heating system is a Burnham 4 section boiler with 4 heat zones, tankless coil for domestic. Typical Honeywell 8124A aquastat, Argo ARM866 controller. This all works fine when I heat with oil. A few years back I added a outside wood furnace which is piped into the basement to a flat plate heat exchanger. When it is cold (Jan-Feb) I run that stove from 175- 185 degrees sometimes a little higher when real cold, with a 4 degree drop in the 100' coming in which is normal. This is fine but it likes wood. I have found that the bridge season is the most difficult to modulate this so I have been running a smaller fire with temps around 140-150. This is enough if I could get the controls to go a little lower or find a way of overriding the controler to run the heat circs more often and one zone in particular constant. I was thinking outdoor reset and treat as if it were radiant but may need something more. I know, the short answer is more wood and keep the temp up. Well 12 -15 cord could be 10 if I can knock it back. All zones have Taco 007's and Taco 568-19 themostats. Any thoughts?

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hello,
I am looking for some suggestions for modifying my aquastat/ controller setup to better suit my needs. What I have for a heating system is a Burnham 4 section boiler with 4 heat zones, tankless coil for domestic. Typical Honeywell 8124A aquastat, Argo ARM866 controller. This all works fine when I heat with oil. A few years back I added a outside wood furnace which is piped into the basement to a flat plate heat exchanger. When it is cold (Jan-Feb) I run that stove from 175- 185 degrees sometimes a little higher when real cold, with a 4 degree drop in the 100' coming in which is normal. This is fine but it likes wood. I have found that the bridge season is the most difficult to modulate this so I have been running a smaller fire with temps around 140-150. This is enough if I could get the controls to go a little lower or find a way of overriding the controler to run the heat circs more often and one zone in particular constant. I was thinking outdoor reset and treat as if it were radiant but may need something more. I know, the short answer is more wood and keep the temp up. Well 12 -15 cord could be 10 if I can knock it back. All zones have Taco 007's and Taco 568-19 themostats. Any thoughts?

How is your system set up? Is it set up to automatically bring on the circ pump to the fire place when it hits a certain temp? If so you would need to lower the limit at which the pump would kick on (often an aqua-stat).

historichouseguy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.historichouseguy.com
Thanks for the reply. In doing more research and talking with the boiler people the best thing and easist is to keep the boiler temp up higher. That will eliminate the aquastat temp issue, keep condensation from forming in the boiler and generally run cleaner. The claim to saving wood is in thier words just not so as the boiler is so well insulated that it will retain the heat. I set er up this week & time will tell with the wood. If thats what it takes, I'll cut a few more trees, still beats buying oil.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks