(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Installing a Kohler Villager Cast Iron Tub

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

What do the installation instructions say about it? The thing sits on the feet, is pretty heavy, but a ledger can ensure it can't tip a little.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Kohler's installation instructions say for the tub to sit on only its 4 machined feet.

*However*, these feet are very skinny (<1/4" wide) and will sink into the floor unless placed on metal shims. Also, they are not necessarily in-plane with each other. The Kohler Villager I just installed had warped and its feet were 1/8" out-of-plane. Wobbly tub, leaky drain (eventually).

I eventually used a ledger board (despite Kohler's instructions saying not to) and am glad I did. No wobble. No sinking into the floor. Rock solid.
    ----------
    - John

Quote Originally Posted by Why did I try this? View Post
    If I wanted a ledger would the cast tub need to be set in place and then marks put on the wall? Or would I measure based on the specs and put on a level board and set the tub in once?
    I found it was an iterative process because the tub wasn't exactly true. Used deck screws to temporarily hold the ledger in place while I checked the tub for levelness and wobbles.

Such is the nature of cast iron manufacturing I suppose. These beasts slump slightly as they cool, making them slightly different than spec.
    ----------
    - John

DIY Junior Member Why did I try this?'s Avatar

Do the drains have to be installed prior to dropping the tub in place? I have an opening to the drain pipe from underneath but it is small and covered with a bunch of other pipes.

Thank you

Hi, new to the forum. I want to replace the house old's (20+ years) Kohler spa bathtub with a regular Kohler Villager bathtub and have questions on the installation of the 7160 Bath Drain kit. Is there an instructional video somewhere that I can see?

Thanks,

Francisco

http://www.us.kohler.com/us/ClearFlo...ngs/419723.htm
    Last edited by Terry; 01-21-2014 at 06:50 PM. Reason: added link

ACO Shower Drain Sales johnfrwhipple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jch View Post
    Kohler's installation instructions say for the tub to sit on only its 4 machined feet.

*However*, these feet are very skinny (<1/4" wide) and will sink into the floor unless placed on metal shims. Also, they are not necessarily in-plane with each other. The Kohler Villager I just installed had warped and its feet were 1/8" out-of-plane. Wobbly tub, leaky drain (eventually).

I eventually used a ledger board (despite Kohler's instructions saying not to) and am glad I did. No wobble. No sinking into the floor. Rock solid.
    Thinking that your tub is going to be level is like expecting the floor to be level or all the walls to be square.

A perfect tub install is often the "Apperance of perfection" not perfection its self.

The last Kohler tub I installed was out over a 1/16". No way to get it perfect on all three sides so I just set it in the middle. The criss cross apple sauce marks where money. Like taking the average and setting it there.

jfrwhipple@gmail.com - www-no-curb.com - 604 506 6792

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

ACO Shower Drain Sales johnfrwhipple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jch View Post

Thinking that your tub is going to be level is like expecting the floor to be level or all the walls to be square.

A perfect tub install is often the "Apperance of perfection" not perfection its self.

The last Kohler tub I installed was out over a 1/16". No way to get it perfect on all three sides so I just set it in the middle. The criss cross apple sauce marks where money. Like taking the average and setting it there.

jfrwhipple@gmail.com - www-no-curb.com - 604 506 6792

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

We set Villager and similar c.i. tubs on steel shims. The tricky bit, is getting the steel shims at the correct height. To do this, we check the feet of the tub to see where they line up and to verify if they're in-plane. Then, we use various thickness of plywood - without voids - to bring the steel to the correct height. We've tried the ledger bit, but the bottoms of the edges are often pretty rough, and removing/resetting c.i. tubs to get the ledger right is hard work and a pita. Not to mention, every time you set & reset one of these bad boys, you increase the risk of damaging something.

The steel shims work. Once set and wall finishes installed, these things don't move. Ever.
    dana
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    in my youth, i knew it all and treated folks like they knew nothing. after 3+ decades in the construction business, i came to realize that the more i learn, the less i know. now i treat folks as i want to be treated - with respect, no matter how little i know. :-)

Note: please don't feed or quote trolls. thank you. :-)