I Discovered A Great Way To Go Through Concrete Walls (Air Chisel)

Users who are viewing this thread

Driz

Reaction score
I needed to make a 6" hole through a poured concrete foundation in my basement. I got a nice new makita hammer drill masonary bit for my drill and found out how ugly it could be. Forget that. A real masonary drill costs too much and I didn't want to rent one so I thought what about my hand held air chisel. It is a cheap HF job I used a few times for cutting panels or drum tops off . Thats about all I thought it was good for. Then I tried it on the 15 year old cement. Wow does it cut. Of course it is still a 6 pack job and one hell of a mess but its a lot easier to use than a drill. Strangely it doesn't even dull the Chinese cheapo tips at all. What's best is that there is no need to lean hard on the gun and it doesn't take a monster air compressor either. Just put a little pressure on it and let the spring do the work. I bet I paid a whole $15 for the thing. Incredible. The only thing I wish I had was a longer set of Ajax chisels.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Or you can get a core driller out there.
They use diamond tipped drills, and they do a clean core without any dust.

They keep the dust down with water, which also cools the bit.

It will slice right through rebar.

index.php

Last edited:

Driz

Reaction score
Ah Yes But The Price $$$$$$

Or you can get a core driller out there.
They use diamond tipped drills, and they do a clean core without any dust.

They keep the dust down with water, which also cools the bit.

It will slice right through rebar.

Ah yes very true Terry, but as always its that on little thing, $$$$$$$$:mad::mad:. For you pros it is a gotta have item but for us once every 5 year slobs, well ya know.........

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
chisel

The problem with ANY chisel, and I have used my air chisel a couple of times but it is usually too "light" for major drilling, is that the deeper you go the narrower the hole gets.

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
I used a combination of a sledgehammer, cement drill bits/hammer drill & air chisel to get a 3-4" hole thru for drainage
It was from a crawl space under my sunroom out to my drainage pipe

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I used a combination of a sledgehammer, cement drill bits/hammer drill & air chisel to get a 3-4" hole thru for drainage
It was from a crawl space under my sunroom out to my drainage pipe

When I was doing new construction in my 20's, and I needed a hole big enough for a 3" waste line through the 8" foundations, I would only use a sledgehammer.
Five blows with a sledge before the back side would pop out.
And then a few more to make it large enough for the pipe.
These were fairly green walls.

If the walls have cured, then I like coring them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks