Rid-X for a sewer line?

Users who are viewing this thread

GoforthSurvey

Reaction score
I live in a 40 year-old house with 40 year-old plumbing.

From time to time, my toilet stops draining, and I have to have the plumber to augar the main line to the street for tree roots and/or biofilm gook buildup.

Lately, my toilet has been draining kind of slow, and I can hear water running deep in the drain pipes long after it has flushed, plus today I got a good whiff of sewer gas.

I'm a little short on dough this time, and I'd like to stop the problem before it gets worse....

Would it help to flush a box of Rid-X and let the little yeasty fellers eat the gook in the main sewer line to the street?

I also might try a cup of copper sulfate to kill the tree roots in the main line after I try thr Rid-X.

Does my plan sound sensible to you seasoned pros?

Thank you kindly,
-Johnny

e-plumber

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
No chemical product will clear a partially blocked or restricted root infested sewer line. My advice would be to have the line professionally snaked thoroughly (root clogs can take some time if done properly) and cleaned by a pro then use the rrot killer to help slow future growth. A camera inspection is a good idea if the clogging becomes persistent. Complete replacement should not be ruled out.
Pouring the chemicals in now would be a waste of money.

Bob's HandyGuy

Reaction score
I'm not a pro, but I do have a house that needed sewer cleaning once a year or more. I was told it was: roots, broken crock (what a crock!) etc. You need to find an honest repairman who will work with you to discover the cause. When you have the line snaked, at what point does it open up? In my case, it was opening up at 15 feet or less. Most sewer cleaners blamed the tree over the sewer 40 feet away. I tried Rooto, rock salt, copper sulfate crystals and still the line needed cleaning every year. The problem, it seems, is that there is a bend in the line before it exits the house. After a year of use, the clog forms there. He suggested I stop putting paper in the sewer and to run water under pressure through the cleanout. You can use a garden hose or even better the washing machine discharge line. Maybe not an acceptable solution for everyone, but it worked for me. I haven't needed a sewer cleaning in several years. (BTW, copper sulfate crystals will eat through iron pipe. If you don't believe me, put a nail in a solution of it and watch what happens.)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks