(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Noise behind toilet and sink

Default Noise behind toilet and sink

I am hearing noise (sounds like running water) in the pipes behind our two toilets (where the shut off valve is)as well as in the pipes behind one bathroom sink. I checked the meter at the street before leaving for the day and it was on the same number when I got back home several hours later so its not registering water use. I still hear the noise if I shut off the water at the street. The toilet bowl and tank are not dropping / losing water level. We did have a clog two weeks ago and the plumber installed a 2 way cleanout behind the house in the backyard and I believe he snaked the vent as well. That is when I started hearing this sound all the time....after the work was complete. It sounds just like water running in the pipes, but again, no water use being registered. So, what am I hearing then?
    Any insight would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Sounds like the drain pipe is open or broke and you are hearing water running down the sewer. I am assuming it is not yours because of no water use. Just a thought is there a bathtub or shower in this room that is not used ??
    George

Yes, there is a shower in each bathroom. We use them both. You said it is not mine, so I'm hearing other people's water? Is this a problem for me such as due to health reasons, etc? Thanks again.

I am assuming you live in a suburb or small city the sound of water traveling down the main sewer travels through the pipes, along with the sounds are sewer gasses which are not healthy. The big question is there a open drain pipe, or maybe the wax ring is shot on the toilet, I would start by getting close and intimate to the base of the toilet and see if you hear the noise coming from the base of the toilet, did they remove the toilet to clean the drain? If you cannot find the problem by Listening, smelling and looking a smoke test might be in order. Calling the plumber who did the work, back might be a good idea, he might have some insight to what is happening.
    Good Luck
    George