New bar sink tap into existing plumbing.

Users who are viewing this thread

khedrei

Reaction score
Im new here. I stumbled onto this site when I was looking for solutions to my new project. I want to make sure I do it right. Unfortunately I don't have anywhere to upload images to the web. I will try to describe the situation best as possible and maybe someone will vonunteer to help me via email. I do have pics.

In my basement I am installing some cabinets and a sink. Basically a small bar on a 9 foot wide wall. On the other side of the wall is the bathroom. For the supply I am pretty sure I can just tap into the existing pex pipe. For the drainage I want to make sure it is vented properly and up to code.

There is one vent pipe coming up from the floor that goes right to the roof as far as i know. It is right next to the toilet. So I figure that is the vent for the toilet. The sink drain runs horizontal, then tees down into the floor (to the main drain I guess) and virtical, then makes a 90 and tees into the vent pipe.

I need to basically tap into the drain and the vent and do it properly. If someone is willing to help me via email they can contact me at kevinhedrei@hotmail.com. I will try to find a way to get my pics posted.

Thank you in advance.
Kevin

Edit: I figure out how to add a pic.

SINKEDITED.jpg

Last edited:

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
The red lines represent the new piping attached to the old piping represented in black.

I'm 1 town east of you

Attachments

• New rough-in.jpg
    New rough-in.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 4,392

khedrei

Reaction score
Thank you very much. That makes sense to me. I assume since you didn't mention anything that the 2.5" abs is sufficient for venting the extra water load (not that everything will be draining at the same time anyway). I just want to make sure it is up to code.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Your vent is either 1 1/2" or 2" (i can't really tell from the photo), but will be sufficient and will meet Ontario plumbing codes (no such thing as 2.5" abs) We measure the inside diameter of the pipe

Your drain for the bar sink will be 1 1/2" and your wash basin is probably 1 1/2" but it could also be 1 1/4" ( can't tell by the photo)

Last edited:

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Thank you very much. That makes sense to me. I assume since you didn't mention anything that the 2.5" abs is sufficient for venting the extra water load (not that everything will be draining at the same time anyway). I just want to make sure it is up to code.

2in. (you measure pipe by the i.d. is fine for what you are doing.

If you plan to use KROWS' lay out remember that your vents have to be 42in above the floor before you can go horizontal, luck. :)

khedrei

Reaction score
Sorry, yeah, they are 1.5" abs pipes.

Shacko, in my picture in the current set up the builder brought the banthroom vanity drain horizontal then when it hit the vent it went up and then 90'ed to the left at 33". So does that mean that they didn't do it by code? Should I change it? Because if I do Krow's set up I will have to take out more drywall to the left and tap it into the main vent much higher up.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The builder did it right for one sink.

If you want two sinks, then Krow's way is right.

Yes, more drywall could come out.

attachment.php

Last edited:

khedrei

Reaction score
So if I do it Krow's way then when I re-run the vent for the existing sink I should run it up over 42" before 90'ing to hit the main vent? Or can I tee it back into the vertical pipe (the one you see in the pic) that leads to the main vent?

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
As long as the new vent connection is above the flood-level rim

In Ontario, code allows you to tee your vent over 40" to centre. Most counter tops are36" from finished floor. In Ontario, you are allowed to 90 to horizontal at any height as long as horizontal vent slopes 1/2" per foot and you tee to the main vent needs to be min. 40" to centre.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Those water lines running through the metal studs should have some protection where they go through the stud so if the water line contacts the stud it won't cut the water line...I never ran them through with out plastic guards lining the hole...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

The bar sink can have a higher drain connection than the lavatory, so you could just insert a second tee above the lavatory one and arm over to the sink location. The vent line being below 42" is a theoretical problem but not usually a practical one. IF the drain line becomes obstructed, the water will fill rise in the pipe until it overflows the lower sink, which should be the lavatory at 31" above the floor. It could NEVER get high enough to fill the bar sink or bypass through the vent into the main vent. In any case, you would know very quickly that you have a problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks