How do I make it look good?????

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYourselfer

Reaction score
OK,

Gutted bathroom. Installed tiles on floor and walls. New toilet, sink and light fixture. I have 1/2 inch copper pipes(water) coming out of the wall for the sink and the toilet. They have nice new chrome on/off valves but the actual copper pipe coming thru the wall is an eyesore to me.

How can I "nice" them up?

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
How much copper are we talking about? Usually the pipe attaches to the shutoff valve at the wall and you use a chrome trim ring to cover the hole and the copper connection. From the shutoff, you could use SS braided line to connect to the fixture.

rwcarpenter

Reaction score
In my bath where I had a pedestal sink put in, it was copper in the wall, and it transitions to eared threaded 1/2" FIP connection inside the wall (kinda like the shower arm screws into), the ears were attached to blocking he put in the wall between the studs. Then the plumber used a short threaded chromed brass nipple to which he then screwed the shutoffs, and there was a escutcheon plate to cover where the pipe went in the wall. From there I went braided stainless with the lines.

Since your plumber went straight copper to the shutoff then a little of your copper will be showing (or perhaps quite a bit), though no one will pay attention to that but you. Your options to hide it are to redo as above (which will require wall repair...so not a good idea if you already painted), or simply paint the copper silver or slip some sort of split cover over the visible pipe. If you paint the copper, make sure its clean first.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are split covers that would work, but I would consider turning the water off and removing the valves then putting on the solid covers. It should be a quick and simple job.

DIYourselfer

Reaction score
There are split covers that would work, but I would consider turning the water off and removing the valves then putting on the solid covers. It should be a quick and simple job.

There is about 4 inches of copper between the valve and the escutcheon plate on the wall. I have no problem turning off the water and removing the valves myself to put on the solid covers. I did not see them in Home Depot. Do you have a link to them? Is there a standard as to how long the copper pipe is that comes out of the wall?

Thanks,

Joe

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
That much exposed copper does add to the job. You will have to cut the copper shorter and redo the valves. Using compression fittings should help. A plumber would have it done before you could drink a cup of coffee, an inexperienced DIYer somewhat longer.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Why would anyone install valves on a 4" chunk of copper sticking out of the wall anyways? Nobody needs 4" of play for future repairs...

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
4" of tubing is almost twice as long as I leave, but no big deal. In a couple of weeks you won't even see it anymore. Perhaps you are being too picky; I've never heard anyone complain about the length of the valve sticking out or about copper being an eyesore compared to chrome!

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
4" of tubing is almost twice as long as I leave, but no big deal. In a couple of weeks you won't even see it anymore. Perhaps you are being too picky; I've never heard anyone complain about the length of the valve sticking out or about copper being an eyesore compared to chrome!

That's what I always say. I argue with architects sometimes about placement of devices and equipment... I tell them that no one, except for people in the trade, notices that stuff.

DIYourselfer

Reaction score

Sanjeev,

You haven't met my wife:D:D

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tubing

Cut the tubing 1 1/2" from the wall, slide on a spun escutcheon (which EVERY hardware and Home Depot store has), slip on the compression valve and tighten it. There would be almost NO reason to ever need any more tubing than that, assuming whoever works on it in the future knows what he is doing and has the tools to do it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks