Fittings sticking out too far

Users who are viewing this thread

KG

Reaction score
I had a non experienced person install a new handle, faucet, and showerhead for my bathtub. I can see the pipe in between the faucet and surround sticking out (about 1/2 inch). The valve that the handle connects to is sticking out about 3 inches. Is there anything I can do to fix this, without having to remove the surround, or break through the drywall?
I'm assuming no, but thought I would ask anyway. Thanks!

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
new faucet

You have to tell us more................
Did your friend use an access door?
What brand is the faucet?
Do you mean that there is a gap behind the tub spout?
How thick is that wall?
Your problem should be fixable..............

KG

Reaction score
He removed the drywall in the closet to install the valve, which has since been fixed (the drywall).
The brand is Moen.
The gap is the actual valve itself. It is sticking out too far past the hot/cold plate (sorry, not sure what to call it). When I put the the on/off handle on, I can still see the valve (about 3 inches of it). The handle should be against the hot/cold plate.
I'm not sure how thick the wall is.
Hope this all makes sense.

Kristi

Tradesman Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.prettyplumbing.com
it does make sense - sounds like you need to open up the wall in the closet again and reposition the valve body. It will be (or rather, should be) strapped or screwed onto some backing between the studs, and this backing is pushing the valve too far through the wall on the other side. if you take this backing off and reposition it (set the valve further into the wall), refasten the valve to it, then you should be good to go... the hot/cold plate is called the faceplate.

Last edited:

KG

Reaction score
I think you got the jist of it. Thanks for the info. I figured the wall would have to be opened up again. What a pain. :) Next time I am hiring a professional...

Kristi

Tradesman Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.prettyplumbing.com
... it's a hard lesson to learn, but you usually save time and money to go for the professional over the handyman - no offense, handymen out there! don't worry about opening up the wall and repairing it again, that is not such a big deal, but getting all that water inside the wall certainly is...

KG

Reaction score
SO true. This is only a small piece of the problems that occured during the remodeling. There was also water inside the wall, lots of drywall damage into the kitchen downstairs, and various other issues. Never again! ;) Thankyou so much for your quick responses...

I'll write back with any other questions...

TheZster

Reaction score
Hold on a minute..... all might not be lost...

I just installed a new valve/mixer/spout assembly in my new bathroom.....

Can't recall brand, but it's not important.... the "valve handle" sticks out from the wall plate about 3 inches... as designed.... has a nice chrome valve body cover extending from the cover plate. It's proper. Don't know if that's your situation or not.

The spout problem you've got may be fixeable too.... If it's like mine, it unscrews from the wall - or rather the copper pipe coming from the wall..... There is a sleeve sweated to the 1/2 copper tubing coming out of the wall that sounds as if it was positioned incorrectly. This sleeve determines the spout distance from the wall.... may be a simple matter to resweat it in the right place.... by someone who knows what they're doing....

If I'm misinterpreting your problem.... then it's drywall time again.... and I feel your pain....

Last edited:

KG

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! ;) I'm not sure if it is supposed to be that way, it doesn't look like it, but I'm hoping to have someone take a look at it soon. You guys have helped out ALOT! Thanks again... :p

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks