Automated control for bathroom fan

Users who are viewing this thread

Export!

DIY Member
Reaction score
I've discovered humidity sensing exhaust fans which seem like an *excellent* idea to me. I'm particularly interested because I'm doing a basement bath in a cold climate.

I've already installed a fan and am wondering if there are moisture sensing switches for a standard fan. My initial thought is that a switch located away from the shower 48" off the floor would not be the best place to sense moisture but I thought I'd ask.

Failing that, do you think either a manual timer switch or electronic timer is a good idea? I want to encourage/force people to run the fan after a shower.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
fan

A motion sensing switch would turn the fan on when anyone is in the vicinity, and if it has a delay would keep it running while they are in the shower.

Export!

DIY Member
Reaction score
Yes I was thinking of that after I posted and continued looking around. I guess the downside is running the fan long enough to cover a shower if someone just pops in for a second.

Upside is it requires no human input.

This might be the way to go;

Export!

DIY Member
Reaction score
Yes I was thinking of that after I posted and continued looking around. I guess the downside is running the fan long enough to cover a shower if someone just pops in for a second.

Upside is it requires no human input.

This might be the way to go;

Intermatic 60-Minute Spring-Wound Time Switch 20 - at the Big Orange Store.

I could get a sharpie and write "DUMP" at 10min and "SHOWER" at 30min. Classy. LOL

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
How to stop moisture in your Bathroom.

A fan is great. When it's used. I have been told that a home's bathroom fan should run for at least one hour for each shower taken in that room.

If you have kids it just isn't a reality to think they will go switch the fan on and then off again in an hour. I can't be trusted either and I'm 41.

There are a few musts for a good Bathroom fan install.

The fan should be quiet - really quite like Panasonic's Whisper Quiet models.

The fan should have a timer 5 min - 15 min - 30 min - 60min timer in stead of a switch.

The fan should be wired together with the timer and a dehumidistat switch located inside the bathroom. This way if the fan is not turned on by you or the family the fan will run until the humidity is in check.

There are many codes in regards to electrical in your bathroom and the most important one is not to have a switch with in 1 meter on your bath or shower. Check your local codes and have a licensed elecitrian wire up the 3 way circuit.

Export!

DIY Member
Reaction score
I like this idea very much. I did buy a very quiet fan and love the sound - or lack thereof.

I'll have to look for this dehumidistat switch. I can still rough it in up high on the wall in a discreet area. I'm sure it would work better high in the room. One thing though - wouldn't I want it in parallel rather than on a 3-way circuit??? If you manually turned on the fan, then the humidity came up, the circuit would be closed and the fan would go off I think.

Thanks,

Scott

P.S. I'm 41 too and I would feel better if I didn't have to remember to turn it on!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks