High Quality Exhaust Fan

Users who are viewing this thread

DanMcD

Reaction score
Where can I find a high qulity exahust fan for the bartroom shower and tub?

The Panasonic & Braun look real cheap even though they cost a lot. The fan blades on these look as thin as a coffee can lid!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When it comes to quality, it's how quiet they run, the quality of the bearings, and how well the fan is designed and balanced. Panasonic does a good job on those issues. A light fan puts less stress on the bearings, and lets the motor last longer. As long as you don't bang it up while installing it, it should last a long time. If you want to go with a remote fan, Fantec makes some nice units. Depending on the house layout, you might be able to use one fan to ventilate multiple bathrooms. one of the Panasoinic fans uses a DC motor that you can adjust to the desired cfm, and it adjusts to the duct backpressure as well.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Panasonic Whisper Quiet

I have had a Panasonic Whisper Quiet 80CFM running 24/7 in my powder room for 7 years.

I have taking it down and cleaned it 3 times and it runs like a champ.

The only fan we install....

MiamiCanes

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I have Panasonic's cheap high-velocity (80cfm) fan (designed for mounting between 2x4 studs in-wall). I paid ~$70 for it, and can't complain about its air-moving capabilities. Let me put it this way... if I'm running the dryer, turn on the bathroom fan, and one of my cats comes running through the cat door, the force of the in-rushing air keeps the door pulled inward about an inch until the exhaust fan or dryer turns off (either one alone is insufficient).

The only real problem with it is that it's not quiet. It's nowhere near as loud as the old builder's-grade fan in the downstairs bathroom, and not loud enough to be audible beyond the bathroom with the door closed, but it definitely makes too much noise to hear a ringing cell phone in the bedroom or the doorbell. Unfortunately, that's not so much a factor of quality as a factor of physics. The fan's motor is almost silent, but the fact that I'm shoving 80+cfm/minute through a 3" pipe itself makes a fairly loud "whoosh!" when it's on.

Let me give another real-world example of how powerful it is. When I was tearing down the old drywall from the tub enclosure, I could see the drywall dust drifting towards the fan (~8 feet away, on the opposite side of the room) almost immediately. You can't really feel any breeze, but if you blow fine dust into the air, the fan's power becomes VERY visible.

DanMcD

Reaction score
How hard is it to access the fan blades to clean?

On the fan I have now, you need to clean the blades every few years since the moisture makes dust and dirt stick to it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks