Brown Water Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

SemiHandyRon

Reaction score
Just started seeing brown water from the hot tap. Always and only first thing in the morning when I start to run the shower. Clears up in a minute, and no more brown water until the next morning.

House is only six years old. Copper plumbing. Have whole-house carbon filter plus water softener (water-quality fanatic, me). Water heater is gas-fired with power vent. No boiler (furnace is gas). Water pressure seems to have dropped a bit on the hot-water side.

Water heater beginning to rust out? :eek:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's possible there is a galvanized nipple somewhere close to the fixture where the brown is occurring. I wouldn't rule out a bad tank, as you suggest, but I'd suggest a good inspection to see if you can find a piece of galvanized before spending hundreds for a new water heater.

SemiHandyRon

Reaction score
It is a tub shower. But not only is it brown from tub spigot, also from sink spigot in the same bathroom. I think I'll try turning on the laundry room tap (in the opposite corner of the house) first thing in the morning to see if it's brown from there.

Thanks, guys.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
brown

MOre likely a deteriorating fitting on the water heater's outlet, usually a dielectric nipple. That should be the only place for a steel fitting in the hot water system. A galvanized fitting to the tub spout would create the symptom with either hot or cold water.

SemiHandyRon

Reaction score
Thanks for all input! :)

No brown water noticed from laundry room hot water tap this morning.

Tomorrow morning I'll try running cold water only in the bathtub for a few minutes to see if there's any rust from non-hot water. If it's a galvanized problem at the tub spout, it should be brown water from either hot or cold, right? :confused:

SemiHandyRon

Reaction score
The brown water problem is back with a vengeance. Rivers of rust from hot water taps and from the drain spigot on the bottom of the tank. Presuming the whole shebang needs replaced, I'm madly researching brand reliability, warranties, etc. Gas, powervent.

Regarding brands, the guy who plumbed the house initially wants to put in State and warns me against A.O. Smith. My own research says Bradford White or Rheem look good. American Water Heater, my current brand, is one I will NOT buy again.

Seems like I should try for a warranty (1) that's longer than six years and (2) is NOT the pro-rated kind.

Anyone want to weigh in with some advice?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks