Pump or Pressure Tank Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

CPmarks

Reaction score
I have connected my pressure system at my new house. We are using our existing submersible pump and well from our previous mobile home but are using a new pressure tank. The system will kick on at 30psi an kick off at 50psi as expected and hold 50 psi while the faucet is not opened. The problem is that when the faucet is opened on the tank tee the pressure falls to 30 psi and stays there for about a minute or so and then drop all the way down to 10 and stays there, I assume at this point it is just the pump pumping water with no pressure building in the tank. The exact moment the tank tee faucet is closed, the pressure pops up to 30psi and begins to build to 50psi and does so in about 40 or 50 seconds. The pump is a 1/2 HP and the tank is a 33 gallon that I had precharged to 28psi as per installation sheet. All electrical connections are verified working by doing all the ohm and voltmeter tests.

Is the problem that the pump screen is partially clogged and cannot pump the volume required? Or is the problem something with the pressure tank? Pump sat idle in well for 6 months. We have had record amounts of rain over summer so I do not think it is a water table issue.

Thanks

CPmarks

Reaction score
I tested the gpm of the pump by filling a 5 gallon pail. I could fill the pail in about 20 seconds, so there seems to be no shortage of flow from the pump. I think it must be that since I am opening the tank tee drain valve that basically water is flowing straight from the well out the valve instead of pressurizing the tank. I am hoping that once I finish connecting all my supply lines that this will not be a problem for general use.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
It sounds to me that the water level in the well falls low enough to make the pump struggle to deliver water from that depth. Check teh static water level in teh well and how far it falls whe nit can't deliver more water.

BTW, the 5 gallons is coming from the tank, so the pump isn't delivering much water.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I tested the gpm of the pump by filling a 5 gallon pail. I could fill the pail in about 20 seconds, so there seems to be no shortage of flow from the pump. I think it must be that since I am opening the tank tee drain valve that basically water is flowing straight from the well out the valve instead of pressurizing the tank. I am hoping that once I finish connecting all my supply lines that this will not be a problem for general use.[/QUOTE

Testing flow that way doesn't tell you anything because the tank already has water and pressure in it so all you are doing is filling a bucket. Better would be to shut the pump off, drain the tank down and then turn the pump back on, with the valve and hose open. Not perfect but a little closer. Anyway, it sounds like either your pump screen is plugged, the pump is on the way out, or the well is not producing. I would pull the pump and take a look at it.

CPmarks

Reaction score
I did the bucket fill test after turning off the pump, draining down the tank, leaving the drain valve open with the hose end in the pail. At that point I flipped on the breaker and started my stopwatch. And as I said, it filled the pail in about 20 seconds. So you don't think that if a faucet was opened up further down the line that I would not see different results.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks