Drain size for tub/shower combination

Users who are viewing this thread

Home Girl

Reaction score
I am reading that the tub drain should be 1 1/2" while a shower drain should be 2". If a tub/shower combo is installed, can a standard tub drain be used, or does that require a larger shower drain?

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
What do you mean by tub/shower combo? Tub with a shower head? If so the 1-1/2" drain will work. The idea is that the tub can provide holding space for water if the drain is slow, a shower doesn't offer much if any holding before you overflow the curb.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
You are too young to remember when a shower was permitted to have a 1 1/2" drain. I am also.

Florida used to require all under slab plumbing to be minimum 2". Now they don't, along with allowing CVPC (with joints) underslab....

plumbergreg

Reaction score
The smaller size drain works.

It also works for showers too, and that used to be the size required by "Code" too. I think that bigger houses and longer distances are the reasons why its size was increased to 2".

The sizes in the code are the minimum size not the required size;)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks