laminated pine panels

Users who are viewing this thread

kellyhrj

Reaction score
Hi

Just built some bathroom cabinets and want to stain the outsides but not the insides. Will laminated pine panels warp if I do this?

THanks

Hilary

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Any time you don't have similar moisture absorbtion (i.e., different finishes) on both sides of a wood panel, the panel can warp. A bathroom can have some significant humidity levels if it contains a shower or even a bath. I'd be leary. Are you going to cover the stain with a topical finish like urethane? If so, then having one side stained and the other shouldn't make much difference. If it is going to be natural...you may.

kellyhrj

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I was planning to use minwax polyshades which is a stain and polyurethane together. I'm going to use their pre stain wood conditioner also. I don't want to stain all the sides of the boxes that don't show. So will just stain the face, and the door/drawer fronts and one exposed end.

I understand that plain pine boards would warp but wasnt sure about the laminated stuff. I'm using a fairly dark stain and wanted the lighter natural pine colour inside.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Just use the 'normal' urethane on the inside. If you don't want the yellowish color of the oil based stuff, they have some that is water based, if I remember properly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks