Pump cannot build adequate pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

EricL

Reaction score
I have a 1HP submersible at 40 feet in a 80 foot well. The well is 6-7 years old. I just had the two 20' galvanized pipes in the well replaced last year as a result of a leak, when the pump stayed on with low pressure. This leads me to believe it is a different problem than last years leaking galvanized well pipe, but it I suppose they could have gone bad again after only a year.

The pump stays on and will not go above 20#'s of pressure. I have a 120 gallon holding tank that my pressure switch and gauge are attached to. It didn't appear to be waterlogged, but just in case I drained that tank and took out the plug in the top of the tank to make sure air got back in it. I screwed the plug back in the tank and turned the pump back on, but again pressure only hit 20#s. My normal setting is 50# min and 70# max.

Do you have any suggestions on how to isolate the problem? Mainly I wanted to make sure it wasn't something simple before calling the well guy which has been running me about $500 almost once a year. Between corroded wires, lightning strikes, and leaking pipes I have had to have my pump pulled out the ground 4 times in the past six years.

If I need a new pump I would like to increase capacity from 1HP to maybe 1.5HP. Is that advisable, and what is the best submersible pump?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks