(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: More DIY electrical installations

Default More DIY electrical installations

It works so whats the problem?

And where do we get the power from for this?
    http://www.inspectpa.com/forum/forum.php
    My answers are based mostly on the ICC codes. Advice given is my personal opinion and every person performing work should acquire a permit from his/her jurisdiction and get the work inspected. My opinions are not directions to follow for DIYs or professionals

Love that lamp cord*!

And don't need to worry about the dimmer overheating, plenty of air circulation...

*I've seen lamp cord used in an attic. All the insulation had become brittle, crumbled off, and bare wires were left exposed. And not a few inches of bare wire, rather several feet of bare wire!

This is the best (or worst) I have. Maybe not as bad as that switch, but this junction box is full to say the least. This was located in my basement ceiling behind drywall. There are seven (7) 14-2 cables in this box + the transformer for the HVAC. I should have got a pic of the inside to show how stuffed that box was. I don't know that it was DIY. Likely not as I know both previous owners and neither was the DIY type, but it sure could have been a handyman's work.

This circuit (15A) fed the following:

- some basement outlets
    - some basement lighting
    - 1st floor half-bath (non-GFCI outlet, 2 light fixtures, fan)
    - 1st floor entryway lighting and outlets
    - some HVAC relays/transformers
    + who knows what else

I had to add a subpanel as the main panel (30 spots) was completely full so I could straighten out this mess.

Kent
    Attached Images Attached Images  

DIY Junior Member

I guess should be happy that I have a few homeruns filling up my panel. I found a couple under used junction boxes in my basement that I'll be tapping into for more receptacles and flourescent lights.