what is up with this drain backup

Users who are viewing this thread

happydude45

Reaction score
I have attached a diagram of the system. The basement sink drains very very slowly, and gurgles loudly when using the upper sink.

Actions taken so far with no success:
- snaked from basement sink to where the pipe goes into basement floor (at the red marker - i cut into it at this point and verified that there was no clog upstream to sink)
- snaked downward 20' to 25' below ground with my 3/8" snake, came up with a bit of hair, but can't be sure if there is a clog down there.

I am hoping the problem is a clog in the vent, otherwise it must be a clog underground??...

thanks for your help!

Attachments

• sssink.bmp
    37.2 KB · Views: 1,145

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You have run two sinks on the vertical without proper venting.
Anytime you drain the top sink, it will pull water from the lower sink trap.

dwv_b2.jpg

happydude45

Reaction score
Yes I know the plumbing system is not done properly. It wasn't me, just a gift that came with the house!

I should add that when I run lots of water in the upstairs sink, water will actually come out the lower sink drains! In other words, the air is pushing out. Later it starts gurgling "the other way" as it tries to pull air in, as the water slowly drains back down.

does that provide more evidence for a clog underground?
any tips on how to add a vent to improve the system?

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Yes I know the plumbing system is not done properly. It wasn't me, just a gift that came with the house!

I should add that when I run lots of water in the upstairs sink, water will actually come out the lower sink drains! In other words, the air is pushing out. Later it starts gurgling "the other way" as it tries to pull air in, as the water slowly drains back down.

does that provide more evidence for a clog underground?
any tips on how to add a vent to improve the system?

As long as the pipe shown coming off the top of the highest sinks connection to the stack is a vent then you're fixtures would be vented properly as far as I know about your code down there.

You would be simply wet venting the bottom sink.

To remedy the situation you should run a snake from the roof down through the venting and down to larger piping (like a 3 or 4" connection). Flush water through the sinks as well.

Be careful because if you DO knock out a bunch of gunk to the lowest point on the vertical soil-or-waste stack you could create a temporary blockage at the bottom and flood out the lowest sink ... until the snake gets there.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
When an upstairs sink is above a downstairs sink, on the same line, then yes, it overflows the lower sink.

I run into that all the time with handman jobs.

Wet venting is only allowed with fixtures on the same floor, and they need to be sized for that.

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
When an upstairs sink is above a downstairs sink, on the same line, then yes, it overflows the lower sink.

I run into that all the time with handman jobs.

Wet venting is only allowed with fixtures on the same floor, and they need to be sized for that.

Wow really you guys can't wet vent vertically like that? Didn't know that!

:cool:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Nope. you can stack vent like that though provided the stack is large enough and has no offsets.

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
I have the same situation in my house. Two lavs on the 2nd floor draining into 2" copper. This line becomes the vent for the basement lav. Currently, I don't have any problems with it, but I do know it is against current code. I don't know why they didn't just run the 2nd floor lavs into the 3" waste line for the WC. The 3" is only about 16" away from the 2". Probably won't be able to do anything about it until I renovate the 2nd floor bath sometime in the future.

Good luck, happydude. Hope you get it figured out. :)

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Would this be acceptable to you guys? A little off topic i know heh.

wetvent.jpg

Yes, that would be code legal here. I thought that the vent would be equal to the size of the drainage portion but didn't see it on a quick review of the code....then again, the geniuses have now begun to allow cpvc (with fittings) under slab.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks