How do I use a gas pressure tester?

Users who are viewing this thread

lloyda

Reaction score
Hello all,

I pulled a permit to install an new laundry room in my house, need to do a pressure test on the gas line for final, but I am having trouble figuiring out what to do at the meter.

Is the hex nut on the house side of the meter a shut off? If yes, do I
Shut off the gas at the meter, tighten the hex nut, disconnect the coupling on the house side of the meter, make sure all appliances are disconnected and lines capped, hook up the tester to 3/4 inch pipe and then pressurize to 10lbs?

Thanks for your help

Lloyd

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I don't want to sound confrontational here but if you don't know how to use the gauge and where to attach it, you REALLY should not be messing with it at all. I doubt anyone with any common sense at all is going to give you an answer here just for liability reasons alone. Call a professional.

lloyda

Reaction score
Thank you for your concern.

Follow up:
After the advice, I did call the second plumbing company I have used since moving down here and the owner sent one of his journeyman plumbers to show me how to do it. Of course the advice was simple: (he showed me how all you do is remove the hex nut, put a 3/4 inch nipple on and then pumb away), after he left I connected the compressor, ran for about fifteen minutes before I figured out that the air was going out the pressure relief valve. (Good laugh all around)

Called the owner of the plumbing company, he apologized and went through the correct procedures: you need to unhook the meter (need's a really large wrench) remove the Tee, hook the guage up to the pipe coming out of the house, the city inspectors want to see the gauge at that location.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks