(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: The "stuff" in the P-trap.

Default The "stuff" in the P-trap.

I'm one of those people who always thought that that curved thingy under the sink was to catch your wedding ring when you dropped it. Or maybe the aerator screen when you cleaned it. It was much later in life that I came to understand the "gas-trap" principle.

Now that I know that its supposed to keep a little of the last fluid through it in there, I worry about whats sitting in there . . . like my left-over coffee, or that beer from last nights shindig.

Does anyone else flush the trap for awhile before turning off the water . . . or am I just being anal?

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years johnjh2o1's Avatar

You said it I didn't.

John

Love the avatar.

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years johnjh2o1's Avatar

Funny thing about that avatar I don't know where it came from it just appeared on all my recent posts. Not sure but I think it came from Terry, I see he was a visitor to my page. I kind of like it. If so thanks Terry.

John

Journeyman & Gas Fitter Doherty Plumbing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Artie View Post
    I'm one of those people who always thought that that curved thingy under the sink was to catch your wedding ring when you dropped it. Or maybe the aerator screen when you cleaned it. It was much later in life that I came to understand the "gas-trap" principle.

Now that I know that its supposed to keep a little of the last fluid through it in there, I worry about whats sitting in there . . . like my left-over coffee, or that beer from last nights shindig.

Does anyone else flush the trap for awhile before turning off the water . . . or am I just being anal?
    I do the same if you dump something other then a clear liquid down there.... Why not?

If you leave beer, coffee, Milk etc. in the trap you will smell it when it starts to rot!

I try to avoid this!

Wow, flushing the trap after you dump something down the drain? That's a total waste of good water, besides your nightly drain of the dish sink will flush your trap anyways.
    Broken promises don't upset me. I just think, why did they believe me? -Jack Handy

www.blackbirdkitchenandbath.com

Plumbing Designer FloridaOrange's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o1 View Post
    Funny thing about that avatar I don't know where it came from it just appeared on all my recent posts. Not sure but I think it came from Terry, I see he was a visitor to my page. I kind of like it. If so thanks Terry.

John
    Terry's been known to add avatars if you stick around a while and don't have one.
    Matt
    Semi-professional plumbing designer
    Enjoying life in SW Florida

Default trap

That is where the Grand Canyon came from on mine. The trap, by definition is supposed to be "self cleaning", meaning stuff is NOT supposed to stay it it. Heavy things like coffee grounds and wedding rings,which do not float in water, and should not be in the drain in the first place, will stay there until there is enough flow to pick them up and carry them down the line, to a point where they again fall out of the flow and start to accumulate to create and eventual stoppage.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Funny thing about that avatar I don't know where it came from it just appeared on all my recent posts.
    John,
    That was me.
    If you go to User CP, you can change your options.
    I like the avatars, it helps me know who's posting.

And of course hj's avatar reflects his ageless wisdom, and that he's from Arizona.