hot water runs out QUICKLY

Users who are viewing this thread

ewillyb

Reaction score
Hello. My hot water starts to run out during a single, normal shower.
I have a State Industries GS650YBRT-200 50 gal. gas heater that is only 1 year old. I just moved into the house, so I do not know when this problem started.

What to do? I'm a plumbing newbie. My common sense tells me that turning up the temperature would not help the problem. The water comes out plenty hot at first.

Call in a professional or are there some things I can check on my own?

Many thanks,
Eric

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The hotter the tank outlet, the less of it you use to maintain the same temp in the shower. The danger is that if you forget, you could scald yourself. The solution to that is to install a tempering valve at the outlet of the WH, this is the equivalent of you mixing in more cold, but it prevents the likelyhood of getting scalded if you forget and open up the hot too much.

Reaction score
How long does it take before the water runs out and what is the flowrate of the showerhead?

Assuming this is something less than 10 minutes and it is ~2.5 gpm showerhead, then perhaps the dip tube is broken?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It does sound like a broken dip tube. That is not a normal thing in a 1 year old heater, but things happen. The dip tube is located inside the water inlet and is easily removed and replaced.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heater

10 minutes with a 2.5 gpm head is 25 gallons, which is about par for a 40 gallon water heater, and even a 50 if the temperature were set at 120 or below. A broken dip tube would produce about 10 gallons before going cold, and would not have any point where it dropped to warm first.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks