Kerdi Membrane

Users who are viewing this thread

DanMcD

Reaction score
Do most plumbers install Kerdi membranes before tiling shower/bath walls or even behind solid surface and fiberglass walls?

Dan McD

Cookie

Reaction score
I did, I did it myself, bath walls.
But, I am NOT a plumber nor do I ever want to be a plumber.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The only time Kerdi makes sense is if you are going to tile the shower. It makes no sense using it behind a premade panel. It's a very good system, and by system that means you need to use all of the various parts, the primary one includes the drain. The plumber should be able to install the drain, but the location and level is critical on the drain since it has such a large diameter - a little error in plumb will make the edge stick up and look really funky. Since the drain is plastic, it needs to be supported well without any tension on it by the shower pan's deck mud (or the foam pre-sloped pan). This bond isn't super strong, so if the drain isn't level, you'll have problems.

If you want a lot of discussion about Kerdi showers, check out www.johnbridge.com or review the product at www.schluter.com. I've remodeled only two bathrooms, and used it in both. Like it.

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
johnfrwhipple said:
When you complete a Kerdi Workshop the local Kerdi Sales rep gives you an ID card with a Kerdi Installer number on it. You should always check that anyone installing Kerdi in your home has one.

How this could differentiate you -- seasoned Kerdi installer -- with someone that is installing Kerdi for the first time , with no other experience in tile and stone trade related ? Both ID card carriers -- approved Kerdi installers ?! -- after workshop completion course .......... maybe is something I am not getting right .

What could you offer more ?

Dhagin

builder:anti-builder
Reaction score
Having a Kerdi "card" or having a contractors license is no guarantee that the contractor you hire is going to be fair, honest, respectful or competent. Ask around for references, ask other tradesmen you trust, check around on the internet and ask around at the supply houses. You'll learn a lot more about this so-called card carrying "contractor" from others than you will from them.

Pay attention to how respectful this so-called contractor is of others, and you'll have some idea of how they will treat you as a client. :)

Dhagin

builder:anti-builder
Reaction score
I'll try this again - this post has to do with fairness, honesty, respect, and competence, not cards, licenses or codes. Of course your contractor should have all the necessary licenses and cards AND follow all applicable codes and laws.

me said:
Having a Kerdi "card" or having a contractors license is no guarantee that the contractor you hire is going to be fair, honest, respectful or competent. Ask around for references, ask other tradesmen you trust, check around on the internet and ask around at the supply houses. You'll learn a lot more about this so-called card carrying "contractor" from others than you will from them.

Pay attention to how respectful this so-called contractor is of others, and you'll have some idea of how they will treat you as a client. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks