(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Kerdi Membrane

Default Kerdi Membrane

Do most plumbers install Kerdi membranes before tiling shower/bath walls or even behind solid surface and fiberglass walls?

Dan McD

I did, I did it myself, bath walls.
    But, I am NOT a plumber nor do I ever want to be a plumber.

Journeyman/Inspector Inspektor Ludwig's Avatar

I don't think plumbers install the membranes ( I know I don't). They install the drain bodies but after that it's up to a tile guy or gal.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

The only time Kerdi makes sense is if you are going to tile the shower. It makes no sense using it behind a premade panel. It's a very good system, and by system that means you need to use all of the various parts, the primary one includes the drain. The plumber should be able to install the drain, but the location and level is critical on the drain since it has such a large diameter - a little error in plumb will make the edge stick up and look really funky. Since the drain is plastic, it needs to be supported well without any tension on it by the shower pan's deck mud (or the foam pre-sloped pan). This bond isn't super strong, so if the drain isn't level, you'll have problems.

If you want a lot of discussion about Kerdi showers, check out www.johnbridge.com or review the product at www.schluter.com. I've remodeled only two bathrooms, and used it in both. Like it.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

ACO Shower Drain Sales johnfrwhipple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Do plumber's install Kerdi Membrane? Answers here

post(s) deleted by John Whipple
    Last edited by johnfrwhipple; 03-17-2014 at 04:19 AM.

jfrwhipple@gmail.com - www-no-curb.com - 604 506 6792

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

Quote Originally Posted by johnfrwhipple
    When you complete a Kerdi Workshop the local Kerdi Sales rep gives you an ID card with a Kerdi Installer number on it. You should always check that anyone installing Kerdi in your home has one.
    How this could differentiate you -- seasoned Kerdi installer -- with someone that is installing Kerdi for the first time , with no other experience in tile and stone trade related ? Both ID card carriers -- approved Kerdi installers ?! -- after workshop completion course .......... maybe is something I am not getting right .

What could you offer more ?
    Roberto

Having a Kerdi "card" or having a contractors license is no guarantee that the contractor you hire is going to be fair, honest, respectful or competent. Ask around for references, ask other tradesmen you trust, check around on the internet and ask around at the supply houses. You'll learn a lot more about this so-called card carrying "contractor" from others than you will from them.

Pay attention to how respectful this so-called contractor is of others, and you'll have some idea of how they will treat you as a client.
    dana
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    in my youth, i knew it all and treated folks like they knew nothing. after 3+ decades in the construction business, i came to realize that the more i learn, the less i know. now i treat folks as i want to be treated - with respect, no matter how little i know. :-)

Note: please don't feed or quote trolls. thank you. :-)

ACO Shower Drain Sales johnfrwhipple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Kerdi Installer ID cards

post(s) deleted by John Whipple
    Last edited by johnfrwhipple; 03-17-2014 at 04:19 AM.

jfrwhipple@gmail.com - www-no-curb.com - 604 506 6792

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

I'll try this again - this post has to do with fairness, honesty, respect, and competence, not cards, licenses or codes. Of course your contractor should have all the necessary licenses and cards AND follow all applicable codes and laws.

Quote Originally Posted by me
    Having a Kerdi "card" or having a contractors license is no guarantee that the contractor you hire is going to be fair, honest, respectful or competent. Ask around for references, ask other tradesmen you trust, check around on the internet and ask around at the supply houses. You'll learn a lot more about this so-called card carrying "contractor" from others than you will from them.

Pay attention to how respectful this so-called contractor is of others, and you'll have some idea of how they will treat you as a client.
    dana
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    in my youth, i knew it all and treated folks like they knew nothing. after 3+ decades in the construction business, i came to realize that the more i learn, the less i know. now i treat folks as i want to be treated - with respect, no matter how little i know. :-)

Note: please don't feed or quote trolls. thank you. :-)