Shower drips while tub runs

Users who are viewing this thread

eastert

Reaction score
I installed a new tub fixture. It is the two handle type with 1/2 inch copper going up to the shower and 1/2 copper going down and over to the tub spout. When I run the tub, water drips out of the shower. What might be the problem?

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
When you say you ran the tub spout down and over are you saying it's not just under the valve? If so this may be your problem. If you have to many fittings between the valve and the spout the added restriction is forcing some water to the shower head.

John

eastert

Reaction score
To clarify: I ran copper down and out. There is only one 90 degree fitting between the valve and the tub spout.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Can you post a picture of the valve.

The side toward the shower is a reduced size, forcing water to the tub first.
If the valve is upsidedown, then some water will be forced up to the shower head.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some valves don't want you to use both outputs...they want a twin-el if you need both, then cap the other valve outlet. What does the instruction sheet say? Does it say you can use both?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valves

Those valves do not have the shower restrictor and are usually thermostatic valves, such a Grohe. But if they were installed improperly, it would be a "gush/flood" from the shower head, not a drip.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks