Looking for specific PVC trap adapter

Users who are viewing this thread

Mckeand13

Engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.project-one.us
I can't seem to find what I'm looking for at Lowes, HD, or Ace.

For the bathroom vanity drain, the existing plumbing has a rusty galvanized pipe nipple sticking out of the wall. They are an absolute bearcat to get out and I don't have enough room, nor the desire to. When I remodeled a different bathroom, I did remove it but the walls were down to the studs and nothing was in the room so it was easy.

Anyhoo....

I want a female 1.25" NPT x 1.5" or 1.25" trap adapter. (I'm using a 1.25" trap)

I could also use a 1.25" female NPT x 1.25" socket weld, but I can't find a socket weld trap adapter in 1.25".

Last night I made up some ugly conglomeration of pvc that works but I'd like to replace it. It was a 1.25" female NPT x 1.25" socket weld, section of 1.25" pvc, 1.5" socket weld to 1.25" socket weld bushing, and then a 1.5" trap adapter.

Can anybody lead me to something cleaner?

Thanks.

Jastori

Reaction score
It is still better to get the nipple out. The following will work with very little access room.

The easiest way to get it the nipple out is to cut it out. Make a couple careful cuts about 1/2" apart from each other through the nipple at the top using a sawsall. Tap out this 1/2" cut section of nipple. Then you can squeeze (collapse) the remaining nipple a bit with a pipe wrench, and it will come out easily.

The only trick is to avoid cutting into the female threads. However, so long as you make your cuts near the top of the nipple, you do have a little room for error (since it is a drain, a little damage to threads on the top should not result in a leak).

I did the above recently on a galvanized nipple in very bad shape. After removing it, the remaining female threads were in great shape, and accepted a male PCV thread with no trouble (or leaks).

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You might screw up the threads a little even if you are careful. One way to chase them would be to use a new galvanized piece of pipe long enough to use a wrench on and run it in and out. Obviously the best way would be to use a real thread chaser, but unless you have access to one, it would be a bit expensive. A drain having no pressure does not have to be as perfectly sealed as a pipe under pressure, so just get the threads cleaned up to take the new fitting should work OK.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
adapter

If you are considering a solder connection, not welding, then use a 1 1/4" (do not tell them you want a 1.25 size or you will confuse them completely), female sweat adapter, Solder a short piece of 1 1/4" copper into it, then remove the chrome plating from the trap where it meets the copper tubing, slide it into the copper tubing, and solder the two pieces together. Connect the trap to the sink before you solder it so it is in the right location.

Mckeand13

Engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.project-one.us
I found exactly what I was looking for at a big ACE near my house.

1 1/4" NPT female x 1 1/2" socket adapter. Glued a 1 1/2" spigot trap adapter in there and I was done in minutes.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks