(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Plunger-typer lever drain

Default Plunger-typer lever drain

I had a new tub installed by a contractor, and he installed a plunger-type lever drain from Home Depot (pic below).

Everything else seems to be working fine, but the drain won't seal completely - water slowly leaks out. I've tried lengthening (and shortening) the linkage that controls the depth of the plunger. When I lengthen it, the lever won't come all the way up (and it still leaks), when I shorten it I go from leaking very fast to that very slow leak I've been seeing.

Any suggestions? Could I be missing something simple?

It also appears that the screws on the retainer bracket (which basically holds the pipe flush to the tub) were over-tightened, so much so that the plate was being pulled inside the hole in the tub. Not sure if this could have anything to do with the failure of the plunger to seal.

Thanks in advance,

Greg
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Terry; 12-15-2009 at 03:49 PM.

Default drain

The lift wires may have to be adjusted so the "bucket" drops a bit lower. The screws have nothing to do with it.

Thanks for the follow-up, hj. I've actually done that - mentioned it in the second paragraph, guess I wasn't clear.

I've checked just about every resource I can and called the manufacturer, this has to be a bad unit, so it goes back tonight.

On the upside, I've learned just about as much as I can about this type of drain. Might come in handy again some day.

If the drain looks like the one below, you may need to pull the "shoe" out with a wire coat hanger.

I snake from the upper overflow, but the linkage and the stopper need to be pulled out first.

Last edited by Terry; 12-15-2009 at 03:49 PM.

Default drain

Put some heavy grease, such as gear grease, on the end of the bucket to help with the seal.