Occasional cold water pipe noise when flushing

Users who are viewing this thread

traffic626

Reaction score
I am getting occasional noise whenever the toilet finishes filling the bowl and tank. There's no pattern that I can figure out yet. I don't always get the noise when the tank finishes filling. I don't get the same noise when I turn off the cold water at the sink or in the shower.

Any thoughts on how to remedy this? Maybe shut off all the water, drain what is in the pipes, turn on the water in the house, and reopen the main? Maybe add a threaded water hammer arrestor to the toilet?

Thanks!
Eddie

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Is your toilet shut off valve all the way open?

Could the noise be just coming from the toilet (flush valve) as opposed to the water distribution?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What kind of noise? ARe the pipes banging, a rattle, rushing sounds? WHat?

traffic626

Reaction score
Yes, the valve is open all the way. I think the noise is water distribution related. When the tank is full, you hear a clunking sound when the fill stops.

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Yes, the valve is open all the way. I think the noise is water distribution related. When the tank is full, you hear a clunking sound when the fill stops.

[edit]

Thinking about it you said the noise goes away when you aren't running water in the tub / lav right? To me this would mean one thing probably.

You have 1/2" lines feeding everything in your bathroom and when you have more then one thing running at a time the velocity in your piping increases causing water hammer when your toilet fill valve closes.

If this is true you could prove it trying to cause the other fixtures to water hammer as well. IE run your tub and lav. Then quickly close one of the fixtures (as quickly as you can kinda thing). If you get the same-ish sound and the sound goes away at the fixture when it's the only fixture running then you know it's the piping.

If you can't seem to recreate the sound elsewhere in system then it's likely that your fill valve in the toilet is acting up.

Last edited:

traffic626

Reaction score
Actually, the sound goes away if I have the faucet or the tub's cold water running at the same time. I tried shutting the water quickly for the sink and tub and neither makes a sound. Think the toilet's fill valve is worth swapping out?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks