Downstairs toilet flushing, but not correctly

Users who are viewing this thread

MusicalDuet

Reaction score
Hello. I have a 2 story colonial house- 8 years old.

Recently, we've noticed that the downstairs toilet is indeed flushing the waste away, but it sometimes takes 2 flushes to ensure that all the waste is removed from the bowl.

Also, the flushing process itself sounds different, because the action is not the same as it used to be. Often, the water in the bowl will not all flush out and make that typical 'fully emptying' noise before refilling with fresh water. Rather, the water leaving and then entering will perform more of a blending exchange.

THERE IS NO DETECT OF SEWAGE ODOR in the house. My health department sanitarian friends say that it could be a possible partially blocked roof vent pipe, causing the vacuum effect to not function properly.

Any ideas? THANK YOU!!! ;)

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
A clogged vent could be problemsome but usually there would be symptoms elsewhere, unless that vent is dedicated to the toilet.

I would look at the trap first, the line next (maybe have it augered).

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Toilets have an internal trap. Look at the side/rear of most toilets and it's quite apparent. All plumbing fixtures have water sealed traps to keep sewer gasses out.

Having an unused shower doesn't really pertain to your problem.....unless you use it and discover that it doesn't drain well.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
take a look under the sink, if you toilet doesn't have an exposed trap, to see what one looks like. It's the U or P-shaped section that obviously would 'trap' some water. This is what provides the seal from sewer gasses reentering the house. There's one of those in your toilet. If there's anything caught in there (a tampon, toothbrush, comb, hairpin, etc.) it can catch paper and crud and prevent it from flushing properly. The opening isn't fully clogged, or repeated flushing would overflow the bowl, but enough to slow the flush action down. The water needs enough velocity to suck the bowl out once it starts...anything that slows it down will affect the flush.

MusicalDuet

Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. I suppose that the only way to check the trap is to completely drain and remove the toilet from its base, huh? Also, the wax seal would need to be replaced if we do that, right? :confused:

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Yes. It's a straightforward process. Turn water off, drain tank, take off bolts at the base and lift off. When you replace the wax seal, set it on the flange and lower the toilet down onto it in one motion. Use your body weight to set the toilet down firmly on the seal.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you have or can borrow a toilet auger, you might pull something out if it's there. It doesn't always work. You probably don't want to buy one, and it's cheaper to just pull the toilet - a wax ring is a lot cheaper than a toilet auger (at least one that works!).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks