Help with trap configuration

Users who are viewing this thread

thebordella

Reaction score
Hi,

I have nearly completed my (first) half-bathroom renovation: new floor, new paint, new toilet, and...new vanity? Almost.

When I removed the old vanity/sink, I cut out the old trap. As advised by members on this forum, I then cut back to the drain pipe coming out of the wall and attached a standard P-trap.

However, when I tried to rough in my vanity cabinet, I discovered that the P-trap hangs too low to clear the lower shelf of the vanity. The wall pipe itself clears the shelf but the downward hang of the P-trap is about 3 inches too low.

Whoever installed the (very old) vanity/sink that I tore out seemed to have encountered the same issue. You can see their solution in the first attached picture -- notice that there is an elbow on the straight wall pipe which turns up, then straight, then right, and then into what looks like a typical P-trap.

If I recreated this configuration it would clear my vanity. But it looks non-standard. Then again, I am very new at all this. Can anyone describe what they did here and whether I could re-create this configuration?

Note that most of what you see in that picture is long gone, having been torn out.

The second photo shows the P-trap I added (before redoing the room -- it looks much nicer now!). But it hangs too low for the vanity.

Appreciate your thoughts!

thanks,
Aaron

Attachments

• oldtrap.jpg
    oldtrap.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 2,248
  • bathroomclear.jpg
    bathroomclear.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,407

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

Is that a backwater/check valve? If so what is it doing there? IF you do not raise the drain in the wall, and that can be difficult depending on how the pipe is arranged in the wall, ALL you can do is cut a slot for the trap to hang into.

thebordella

Reaction score
Apologies for my ignorance -- I don't know what a backwater/check valve is.

The only two valves I am familiar with in that first picture are the hot and cold cutoff valves.

I could cut a slot in the new vanity for the low-hanging trap, but before I do, I thought I'd ask about the old configuration. More specifically, what's wrong with it? Why can't I do that? (Again, asking this totally naively).

-Aaron

Is that a backwater/check valve? If so what is it doing there? IF you do not raise the drain in the wall, and that can be difficult depending on how the pipe is arranged in the wall, ALL you can do is cut a slot for the trap to hang into.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
In the second photo we can see some kind of an extra fitting/device in the drain line. It appears to have a cap on top which leads us to think it is some kind of a check valve. It should not be there.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Apologies for my ignorance -- I don't know what a backwater/check valve is.

The only two valves I am familiar with in that first picture are the hot and cold cutoff valves.

I could cut a slot in the new vanity for the low-hanging trap, but before I do, I thought I'd ask about the old configuration. More specifically, what's wrong with it? Why can't I do that? (Again, asking this totally naively).

-Aaron

It's an s-trap, and could possibly siphon the trap dry.

Inspektor Ludwig

Journeyman/Inspector
Reaction score
That little white thingy on the trap arm is an "anti-siphon" port of somekind. I think it's just a built in Studor vent. But beware.....there's some new products that are trying to get approval in my jurisdiciton. I don't know the names but it's a swing check trap arm that "eliminates the sewer gas smell caused by faulty trap primers and dry traps". It eliminates the trap. I've seen two versions, one goes on the tailpiece of a floor drain and acts like a spring check, the other is designed to go on the trap arm of a sink or lav. Any other plumbers seen these?
We said "NO WAY" thank goodness but every few months they try again. For the trap issue, as the guys said earlier, you'll either have to open the wall and raise or lower the waste inlet or you'll have to cut into the shelves to make room.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
"thing"

IT is NOT an "S" trap, and from its appearance it is NOT a Studor or similar vent. It LOOKS like a backwater/check valve, but if so, it is NOT a replacement, or substitution for a trap. It is an ADDITION to the trap, and a poor idea at best. It also has NO function, unless there is also one on the toilet to prevent backflow flooding.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
.... hangs too low to clear the lower shelf...
Please define "hangs too low". Your image #2 shows a P trap at the right place.

From there you can Route Your Pipe any way you want, to reach the sink. So you could send a pipe straight up, to a tight elbow, and then over horizontally to another tight elbow under the sink drain tailpiece.

Also, do you know that a P trap can double back on itself? It doesn't have to look like the letter P on its side. It can be a squiggle. You can turn the J part of it back towards the back wall. Try this, if you want to get the riser pipe to be located closer to the wall.

Hope this helps.

Inspektor Ludwig

Journeyman/Inspector
Reaction score
AHA! I knew I had seen that trap thingy before,
it's a Genova "NovaVent" Anti-Siphon Trap. Google it and you'll see what "innovative" ideas plumbers are up against.

Attachments

• novavent.jpg
    novavent.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 1,329
Last edited by a moderator:

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
That little white thingy on the trap arm is an "anti-siphon" port of somekind. I think it's just a built in Studor vent. But beware.....there's some new products that are trying to get approval in my jurisdiciton. I don't know the names but it's a swing check trap arm that "eliminates the sewer gas smell caused by faulty trap primers and dry traps". It eliminates the trap. I've seen two versions, one goes on the tailpiece of a floor drain and acts like a spring check, the other is designed to go on the trap arm of a sink or lav. Any other plumbers seen these?
We said "NO WAY" thank goodness but every few months they try again. For the trap issue, as the guys said earlier, you'll either have to open the wall and raise or lower the waste inlet or you'll have to cut into the shelves to make room.

I have seen the spring type checks you speak of for floor drains. They actually work quite well. Are they ideal for areas where a trap primer would work great? No. But they're good for situations that warrant their use.

The other type I have no seen.

Inspektor Ludwig

Journeyman/Inspector
Reaction score
Terry,
thanks for adding the pic. I'm a certified computer dummy. I really thought all the clicking and copying garbage I was trying to do actually worked! LMAO:D

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The ACE hardware store sells them, HD and Lowes probably do also. Are they code compliant? Unfortunately......................................................................................... yes

Inspektor Ludwig

Journeyman/Inspector
Reaction score
D,
I just read your last post on here, I think we were talking about 2 different things. The anti siphon on the trap arm is the one I'm talking about. The ones that go on the tailpiece I think provide a good answer to floor drains that have a dry trap problem.:D

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
D,
I just read your last post on here, I think we were talking about 2 different things. The anti siphon on the trap arm is the one I'm talking about. The ones that go on the tailpiece I think provide a good answer to floor drains that have a dry trap problem.:D

oh ok. I can't remember even seeing an anti-siphon device in use on a floor drain before. We use the spring and bladder type.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
novavent

They do not show pictures of their products, but state that the "NovaVent" comes in sizes from 3" to 24" which would not be appropriate for a lavatory drain.

ChuckS

Reaction score
I'm no plumber but I'd go with the previous guys solution. It appears to have worked and it's in the vanity so no one sees it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks