(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Rusted/broken threads

Default Rusted/broken threads

I am remodeling our kitchen. When I removed the drain pipe extending from the wall, I came upon rusted/non-existent threads extending out of an elbow fitting. The fitting is in a cinder block wall, so there is not room to rotate the elbow off and replace. The threads on the top are ok -- on the bottom only there is only about 1 cm left. Any advice on how to fix simply and effectively (if possible) would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by hudsonmudson; 11-19-2009 at 03:52 PM.

Default drain

Unscrew that piece of pipe, or have a plumber carefully cut it out of the fitting and insert a new pipe.

Journeyman & Gas Fitter Doherty Plumbing's Avatar

I would use heat to expand the fitting so the nipple will come out easier. Hopefully it doesn't crush or break when you try and remove it!

Thanks for the answers. Besides heating to make it come out easier, what is the best way to remove the pipe w/o damaging the threads of the female elbow?

Default elbow

That is a cast iron elbow so the threads are pretty durable. Careful application of a hammer and small caping cold chisel will remove it. The keyword is "careful" which is why I recommended that a plumber, who has done it before, do it. From the looks of it, I think I could remove it in about 2 minutes, but that is because I have the right tools and know how to use them.

I would cut the peice of pipe heading left and install a banded coupling with a new PVC 90 because you already have the wall open...

Default It's out.

Thanks for the advice. It ended up being much easier than I thought. I sprayed some PB Blaster and let it soak for a bit. Then I took some vice-grips and managed to work it loose without much trouble at all. The inside threads are fine.