Banging Pipes - How to Locate Them - Issue Is Not Water Hammer - Please help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Mikey33442

Reaction score
We just purchased a house in South Florida built in 1987. Whenever you turn on the water (both cold and hot) anywhere in the house (faucets - both kitchen and baths), showers, toilets, washer, ice maker etc. there are pipes banging in the master bedroom/bathroom area. We have copper plumbing - not underground.

We have done the water hammer trick and even had a plumber come out. Plumber and I think there is a loose pipe that needs to be strapped. already went up in the attic, already cut out pieces of drywall and I still can't find where it's coming from. At this point we already need to have a drywall person come out, so I can keep going opening up the drywall, but would rather not hunt and peck. How do I find this noise without opening up our whole bedroom???

Please help!! Any ideas welcome - I am at my wits end.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
I am curious as to what "water hammer trick" you are referring to.

You are correct, you could have a loose length of copper causing the noise, however it could also be caused by a washer or toilet valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks