(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Can I adapt to a cast iron tee without cutting? Replacing a lead bend.

DIY Junior Member

Smile Can I adapt to a cast iron tee without cutting? Replacing a lead bend.

I have been asked to help a friend who has a old toilet lead bend that has been repaired so much using epoxy putty that you can't see it anymore. It goes into a old cast iron sewer stack via a tee (I believe it's called). I would like to adapt plastic to the cast iron tee without cutting and wonder if there is a fitting (heard of fernco but can't find anything specific) that would actually adapt to the collar of the tee if I chop/melt the lead out. I researched about snap-cutting a section of the stack out and replacing it with a fernco tee but there is a gas pipe tight to the right of the pipe and a lath and plaster wall directly behind. Don't think I can get the chain around it and would rather keep it intact if I can since it doesn't seem to be deteriorated. I'm attaching a picture - hope it comes out. My main concern is that if I can adapt to the outside of the existing cast tee - what would keep the waste from getting caught on the inside - or would I push the new 3 or 4" pvc or abs deep through the rubber coupling so the waste doesn't get a chance to get hung up on it?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I normally just pull the lead out of the cast iron tee, and use a 4x3 flush bush into a insert rubber pipe donut.

DIY Junior Member

Well, thank you very much! That is spectacular. If you don't mind some more information.. How far do you insert the abs through the bushing and is it a special type of cement to join the two or just regular abs cement?

Default bushing

You insert the PVC all the way to the stop in the bushing, and it does not get glued in.

you can also get a fernco fitting that goes over the whole hub of the cast iron tee.

Journeyman & Gas Fitter Doherty Plumbing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marty53 View Post
    you can also get a fernco fitting that goes over the whole hub of the cast iron tee.
    Don't do this! You will be creating a lip inside the pipe from the hub of the cast iron fitting. This eventually gather enough stuff to plug your line. Or atleast has the potential to.

Terry's example is a perfect example of how to do it.

DIY Junior Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Doherty Plumbing View Post
    Don't do this! You will be creating a lip inside the pipe from the hub of the cast iron fitting. This eventually gather enough stuff to plug your line. Or atleast has the potential to.

Terry's example is a perfect example of how to do it.
    That was the only option I thought I had in the beginning and my concern exactly and the reason for joining this forum. Didn't know I could use a "donut" or "multi-tite pipe gasket" as more research showed. So thank you all for your input. I believe I'll be good with that option.

DIY Junior Member

Smile

As long as you folks are friendly, and this is an active forum, I'll post another picture, further down the line of the lead bend and run my thoughts on that.. This shot is of the old drain pipe which later tees off on it's own to receive waste water from the sink and tub. It feeds into the lead bend as it turns up toward the toilet - through the concrete/cement floor (which we'll probably be best off redoing also - the floor - but anyway)...

I suppose to incorporate this drain system into the same cast iron tee, I'd use a donut as suggested and come out with a short piece of plastic (abs or pvc) to another tee turned almost sideways... (I'm thinking a 3" x 3" x 2") then put the toilet fittings into the 3" straight part and bring a 2" drain into the tee part... or do they still make and allow by code, a similar fitting as shown in the lead - where a 2" drain combines with a 3" bend from the toilet?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Use a 90 with a 1 1/2" on the heel.

glue in a small piece of pipe then use a fernco to connect from the plastic to the old lead.

DIY Junior Member

Exquisite! You guys are great!

Default connection

They do NOT make a Fernco that "goes over the hub". There are Ferncos which WILL fit over the hub, but that is not what they were made for, nor is it an approved use for them.

Sound and Light Suppervisor for a School District tjbaudio's Avatar

BTW there are many sizes of these donuts. It took me 2 trys to get the right size. Clean the hub well (I used a side grinder with a wire wheel.) The donut will need to be hammered in place per the instructions.
    Also the fernco to the sink pipe needs to be banded.
    tjbaudio
    I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell. I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work. My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading. Dyslexics of the world untie!

www.incertclevername.com