Shower door rough-in

Users who are viewing this thread

Export!

DIY Member
Reaction score
Roughed in a 36" square shower. I assumed a finished door opening of 24" would afford me a wide choice of "off the shelf" pivot shower doors.

After a quick look, I see a lot of doors described as 25". Is there a standard finished opening width I should be shooting for?

Easy to fix now - hard to fix later!

Scott

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
How did you get from 36" rough to 24" finished?

You need to plan right now. There are no standards, per se. Look at spec sheets for doors. Find a door you like, then rough to that. There is no tolerance on the specs. If the spec sheet says fits 25 to 27 1/4", for example, that is it. NO SLACK!

Export!

DIY Member
Reaction score
OK guess I'll pick out a door first. For clarity - the shower itself is 3' square. I've roughed in the door opening to have a finished width of 24"

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There is a minimum size spec'ed in code...not sure what the minimum opening size is...you certainly don't want to end up with an opening that is too small. Depending on the door, if it has a frame, your actual opening if the rough-in size is 24" is likely too small. Unless you go frameless on the door, you'll lose probably an inch or more on each side. A typical door in a home is probably at least 28", and 30" or 36" doors aren't uncommon. The actual opening is always smaller than the door size to accommodate the stops.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
most "off the shelf" shower doors will need an opening between 23"-25" . There would be adjusting srews and pivot adjustments incase the opening is out of square or not level.

If the door is hinged with no tolerences, then the door is NOT an "off the shelf" item (it's a custom door)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks