vent terms

Users who are viewing this thread

Dostoy320

Reaction score
From the Minnesota Plumbing Code:

"Horizontal vent pipes forming branch vents, relief vents, or loop vents shall be at least six inches above the flood-level rim of the highest fixture served."

Can I take this to mean that if I have only a lavatory on a vent pipe - the vent rises vertically from the lav drain the turns 90 degrees and runs horizontally only about an inch above the lavatory flood level to a vertical vent pipe, that this is OK because it's not a branch/relief/loop vent?

Thanks!

Helpful Plumbing Hints for Residential Construction by Bert Polk Plumbing Inspector Lincoln County

Last edited by a moderator:

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
6" above the lavatory flood rim, not 6" above the tee. The horizontal vent isn't quite horizontal, you maintain a slight pitch back towards the fixture.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
That would be a branch vent, and by code cannot be horizontal until 6" above the lav flood rim. Will it ever cause you problems? NO.

Dostoy320

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

What are the chances that an inspector is gonna pass it based on the fact that it's a pvc replacement of the original metal vent pipe in the same location?

I'm really uncertain when doing this remodeling stuff - once I start replacing things, do I have to bring them up to code or can I be grandfathered in or what?

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

What are the chances that an inspector is gonna pass it based on the fact that it's a pvc replacement of the original metal vent pipe in the same location?

I'm really uncertain when doing this remodeling stuff - once I start replacing things, do I have to bring them up to code or can I be grandfathered in or what?

As long as you used an appropriate transition from the cast or galvanized to the PVC you won't have a problem.
That's assuming PVC is acceptable in your area (as it is 99% of the time).

Dostoy320

Reaction score
Are you saying it's OK not to move the horizontal vent up to 6" above the sink flood level because it wasn't originally, or that in general it's OK to replace steel with pvc?

Because I hope you're saying the former... ;-)

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
From the Minnesota Plumbing Code:

"Horizontal vent pipes ... shall be at least six inches above the flood-level rim of the highest fixture served."

Can I take this to mean that .... runs horizontally only about an inch above the lavatory flood level to a vertical vent pipe, that this is OK...?

Thanks!

NO. One inch. No.

Six inches.

Do you have a pipe running horizontally one inch above the sink rim, today?

Dostoy320

Reaction score
Yes. The house's original configuration was a wall mount sink with a vent pipe running horizontally about an inch above. I didn't pay attention to it when I was gutting the bathroom. I replaced the steel vent pipe with pvc, following the original run.

The new sink was delivered last night and I held it up to the wall and thought, "whoa, why is that horizontal vent pipe so close to the top of the sink".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks