You can also use ozone if you have a lot of money.
Hydrogen peroxide doesn't work well for long.
UV can not be used for a number of reasons, all of which prevent the light from working for anything.
You can't filter it, especially on a POE (whole house) basis.
So the only disinfectant left is chlorine.
And chlorine is like when ya need a big hammer and you happen to have a really nice lineman's/engineer's hammer in the tool box and room enough to swing it just right; it is the best tool although some wuss complains about the noise.