Help with american standard toilet!

Users who are viewing this thread

AndyH

Reaction score
Hi everybody, I found this site searching on google and thought this would be a great place to get some help with my plumbing problems. Thanks in advance for any advice! I have a split-foyer house with a bathroom in the basement. The previous owners had vinyl peel and stick tile on the concrete. I just finished tearing that out and installing a ceramic tile floor.

I am now trying to set my american standard toilet back in and am having several problems. I have ruined 2 jumbo wax rings with the plastic horn. I could not get the toilet to set properly. I then realized the plastic horn would not go into the flange opening. I noticed the flange is a 3" that goes inside 3" pipe. So, i tried using two standard wax rings without the horn together. I got the toilet to set and I installed the tank. Now, when I flush the toilet the water swirls around and goes down very slow. I threw a couple of wads of toilet paper in and it stopped up. I used a plunger to unstop but the toilet still barely flushes. This toilet worked great before I took it out and tiled the floor.

I am wondering if some of the wax could be restricting the flow any? Also, I wish I could change the flange but it is a concrete sub floor and I cannot get to it to change it. Any advice?

Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Did you install the tile floor, or did someone else?

I had one job like that, and the tile contractor had thrown grout and tile bits down the toilet drain.

There is also a chance that the plug is inside the trapway of the bowl.
If you take the toilet outside, you can see how it flushes without being on the flange.

AndyH

Reaction score
I installed the tile floor myself and I kept a rag over the flange hole. I had the toilet out in the garage for a couple of weeks. I didnt see anything in the toilet or hear anything move around in it. I even turn the toilet upside down before I reinstalled it. I will take it back up again and take it outside and flush it and see how it does. Should I just use one standard wash ring when I reinstall it? I think two is too much because I really had to compress it to get it all the way down.

thanks!

AndyH

Reaction score
Well i pulled the toilet and I found the problem. What caused this, and I guess I should just use one ring instead of two?

Attachments

• IMG00095.jpg
    IMG00095.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 468

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The wax probably fell off the toilet when you tried to set it down...try setting the wax on the flange, then set the toilet down over it. Depending on the toilet, you may need one jumbo or maybe two normal wax rings. It depends on how deep the depression around the horn of the toilet is. You should have at least a little bit of resistance as you set the toilet down, or you won't get a good seal. Carefully press the toilet down until it is flat on the floor, then install the nuts on the anchor bolts - don't use the bolts to squish it in place.

AndyH

Reaction score
cool, i was using two standard wax rings without the horns. I think that was too much wax though. I just reset the toilet using one standard wax ring without the horn. It felt much better going down and it is flushing much better now. Hopefully it won't develop any leaks! I guess 4th time is a charm! Atleast I learned something! I wonder why they used a 3" inside flange? There was room for them to use an outside one. Anyway I'm through with using wax rings with horns, I am convinced they are junk. Thanks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

The used the 3" inside flange because they screwed up and did not want to take the time to do what it would have taken to use one on the outside of the pipe. We learned decades ago that the rings with a funnel cause more problems than they are worth. IF you had set the funnel wax seal on the floor before setting the toilet, instead of attaching it to the toilet first, you would have known that it was not going to work before you put the toilet down, because it would have been up in the air.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks