Well Point Trouble

Users who are viewing this thread

Jamie Poissonnier

Reaction score
We have installed a new well point on a property next door. The old one would pump a little water and die down. So we bought a new point and check valve re used the old piping and connectors, pushed it back down in a 20 foot hole with 2 feet of standing water. We hooked a rented gas pump on and pumped great water still with surging but no loss of water. We filled the hole connected the pipe to a pump inside the trailer and now have decreased water flow and major surging where the water trickles and stops. Just like the old point. I am worried my husband did not have a good seal on the reused pipe and connectors, or there may have been a crack somewhere. We did not have to pound the new point in as we rented an excavator and the hole was deep enough to push the pipe in. We can't afford to rent another excavator. Is there any other reason for the water to pump good and clear then die down to a drip? We are now pumping outside the trailer on a separate electric pump with no holding tank to try to establish a good flow before trying the pump with holding tank inside the trailer. Please Help!

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
Valveman is right 2' of water with a sand point isn't enough. It sounds like the water is drawing down to where the sand point is sucking air. You probably should have driven the sand point deeper.

Usually installing a sand point with and excavator isn't the best idea unless you drive the sand point even deeper.

Porky

BurleyMike

Reaction score
I agree that only 2' of water is your problem, especially if your sand is more of a silt with some clay in it. The water will move slowly in that type of ground.

My sandpoint is 16' deep and the water table is 8'-12' below the surface. Depending on the time of year.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks