Drain pipe size

Users who are viewing this thread

DMP

Reaction score
I am redoing my Master Bath. I removed the tub and shower and going to replace it with a two head shower, I was going to use the tub drain but it is only uses 1 ½ “. If I use the shower drain that is 2” I need to move it 8’. (See Attachment)
My question is having a vent that is 10’ from the drain will it cause problems with the p trap?
Should I add the second 1 ½” pipe (See Red dotted Line) just to make sure I do not have any problems?
Thank you for your help
DMP

Attachments

• New Shower Layout.jpg
    New Shower Layout.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 834
Last edited:

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
re-draw with lav drains, toilet drains and all venting. You will need a lot of help.

in your next drawing, use one color to show pipes -- or two : existing, and projected. Don't use three different colors to show pipes.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You cannot reduce the pipe size as you go down a drain, so the shower drain piping needs to be replaced to be 2" or more all the way to where it can drain into at least a 2" pipe. On a 2" pipe, the vent takeoff needs to be within (I think) 60", or 5' of the trap.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

What is a "safety pipe"? If you run the drain that far, regardless of 1 1/2" or 2", you need an intermediate vent. You are making the typical DIY mistake of assuming anyone can be a plumber as long as he can put some pipes together.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
1 1/2" vs 2" Pipe

For a double headed shower system a 2" pipe is ideal.

Your thoughts for the new vent line I agree with but at the same time that whole line should be changed to 2" not restricted to 1 1/2".

You just can't snake out a shower drain line that is 1 1/2" very easily. A snake running down a 2" line goes like a hot knife through butter.

You need to bust concrete anyway i'm guessing so bring the drain line up to 2" and the 10' distance is 2 far to wet vent it so the second vent line will be required by code.

I'm not a plumber and every home has it's own chemistry. Re draw your sketch and there are solid guys here that can help you with the science side. My gut says this plan will work but I always bring my plumber in to give the final say. It never surprises me when I learn about a new code that I never heard of before - this is why it takes plumbers so long to get their ticket - there is so much to learn.

Good Luck.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks